Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Bowtie Grill and Hatch Decal

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 09:24 AM

So just the gold portion of the bowtie comes off???
Old 07-03-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
Can someone post a "how-to" on removing the bowties???? I'd like to paint mine too, but I don't know how to get them off.
The search engine is your friend here, which I finally learned after a couple from other members.
There is a how-to here that should answer any questions you might have.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
So just the gold portion of the bowtie comes off???
No, the whole bowtie comes off like this:
Name:  Picture384.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  24.0 KB
Old 07-03-2006, 10:04 AM

emblems

Originally Posted by captain howdy
No, the whole bowtie comes off like this:
the gold portion comes off as well, gold is painted on the back side of the emblem. it can be sanded off and shot another color from the rear or front side with excellent results. i removed mine and painted mine candy blue with cob web. good clear coat as well. i have a pic posted in the gallery. try it!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:06 AM

You have to remove the whole bowtie just like CH said, not just the gold part (i used a 7lb fishing line). After removing the bowtie I applied two coats of adhesive promoter, then two coats of primer. After letting it dry I applied two coats of base then followed by two coats of clear. I let the paint dry for 30 min between applications.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 AM

sorry guys

Originally Posted by HHR PNOY
You have to remove the whole bowtie just like CH said, not just the gold part (i used a 7lb fishing line). After removing the bowtie I applied two coats of adhesive promoter, then two coats of primer. After letting it dry I applied two coats of base then followed by two coats of clear. I let the paint dry for 30 min between applications.
sorry guys, the gold part does seperate as well. o the value of pics. sorry i don't have any.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Banned

Big Jim is right. You can get the center portion out if you are careful, I just tried. I snapped it in half though because I wasn't being gentle or heating it. I was using the extra bowtie I had off of my old grille so my back hatch one is still safe on my HHR and I'm not pissed. The gold part is held in by a single strip of 3M body tape and a few spots of glue. The back coating is reflective but even if you sand it off the plastic is still amber. I was hoping it would be clear so I could paint it from the inside but it will look funny if I shot Dark Metalic Silver under the amber. It looks like its back to my original idea of painting the surface. I still might remove just the amber part so I can be lazy and not have to mask the chrome.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:30 AM

I just masked the chrome as I didnt want to take the chance of snapping the see-through part of the bowtie by trying to remove it.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HHR PNOY
I just masked the chrome as I didnt want to take the chance of snapping the see-through part of the bowtie by trying to remove it.
Like I just did! I snapped it right down the center.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:44 AM

cleaning solvent

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Like I just did! I snapped it right down the center.
i soaked mine in a solvant tank for 24 hrs. helped loosen the tape and glue. it did not hurt the plastic or chrome.

Quick Reply: Bowtie Grill and Hatch Decal