Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

cleaning rust off of chrome

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by rebel8ball
ok take it from a chrome aholic biker... hit the nearest bike shop (independant would be best ie not brand related) ask for something called BLUE JOB. i used this on pipes to take of surface rust, take out the bluing (i know not a factor here) and leave em gem-shiny... the stuff ia garaunteed not to scratch, just follow the directions, and if you want wax em up after to protect the shine (id suggest the new T.W. ICE)
o if you cant find a bike shop that carried it try http://www.blue-job.com/index.html
On my way to a shop now.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:49 PM

The aluminum foil and coke really does work for cleaning brake dust, rust, and all the other junk off of my friend's chrome wheels. The first time he told me about it, I thought he was full of it, but then I actually watched him use it. Surprised the hell out of me!
Old 07-18-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
On my way to a shop now.
it will seem expensive for the small amount, it will last forever if you mix it up in small batches... and use only what ya need (you can always mix up a little bit more if u need it. i think i still have the jar i bought 3 or 4 years ago....
Old 07-18-2007, 01:52 PM

ok take it from a chrome aholic biker... hit the nearest bike shop (independant would be best ie not brand related) ask for something called BLUE JOB. i used this on pipes to take of surface rust, take out the bluing (i know not a factor here) and leave em gem-shiny... the stuff ia garaunteed not to scratch, just follow the directions, and if you want wax em up after to protect the shine (id suggest the new T.W. ICE)
o if you cant find a bike shop that carried it try http://www.blue-job.com/index.html

Local shop here recommended a product called "Outer" (water) here. It was kinda like the Extreme Metal Polish. Did work well. If I can't find that next time, I'll take a look for Blue Job.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Simichrome!
Originally Posted by GDZHHR
On my way to a shop now.
Originally Posted by solman98
Local shop here recommended a product called "Outer" (water) here. It was kinda like the Extreme Metal Polish. Did work well. If I can't find that next time, I'll take a look for Blue Job.
Shop had Blue Job and simichrome, they suggested using simichrome.

I'll let ya know how it works out.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Primiere07
aluminun foil and coke, wont scratch like steel wool
Wasn't that debunked on Mythbusters?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 PM

Cleaning Rust from Chrome

I have detailed motorcycles and restored many antique bikes - best way to clean rust is a BRASS BRUSH (brass is a soft metal) and WD-40. Spray the bristles on the brush and then brush the rust away. I usually purchase the brushes at Harbor Freight these are cheap and the size of a toothbrush and work well.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 AM

Never Dull is the best I have ever used. You'll be amazed what a 4-5 dollar can of wadding polish can do. We used to own Canyon Classic Auto Detailing in Palm Springs Calif and this is what we used!