Appearance/Modifications Discussions Body Kits, Hoods, Spoilers, Interiors,Engine Compartments,Exhaust

Exhaust system replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 06:57 PM

Exhaust system replacement help

UP front... I did all the searches and I am still confused. I just want a simple replacement exhaust system not any louder (interior cabin noise wise) than stock. My wife would never tolerate it. Oh one more thing I will not spend the 600 - 800 on a new factory system. If I were better off I would but I am not. My factory exhaust system has a hole in it (where it goes up and over the rear axle) and I have been told I need to replace the system. I have always loved the stock 2.4 muffler tip sticking out. Mavis wants $350 installed. I do not get a chrome tip on the end and yes I know I can put an aftermarket one of similar shape. My friend recommended Borla as there are complete cat back sets on ebay for about the same money (but not installed). My question is how much of an increase in cabin noise will there be? I watched some youtube clips and a Borla on a white 2.4 HHR did not seem to much louder.... but none of these clips also showed cabin noise which was to bad. Any suggestions or thoughts (I know but I ha.ve to keep the wife. LOL LOL)
Old 05-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

If you only have a hole in the pipe, why not just replace that part and leave the rest of the stock system in place?

Any decent muffler shop can cut out the bad section of pipe and replace it.
(unless of course the rest of the system is shot also)

Of course a muffler shop would say you need a whole system. That's how they make extra profit. But do you really need the whole system replaced? I doubt it.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:28 PM

Well if it was not for bad luck with this "new" 06 HHR which replaced my high mileage HHR I'd have no luck. I have owned this HHR almost 3 months. When I first bought the car the used car lot had the car quite often because of the check traction control light being on. Last Saturday I replaced the bumper cover because the car was a motor home queen and it was buggered up. Tuesday I had a trailer hitch put on and they dented my rear hatch/trunklid what ever it is called. They are going to pay for that, however the car now has a grumble and rattle in the exhaust. So I took in in to see if it was the result of having an 8 year old cars exhaust lowered and then put back up(which I would have shouldered the responsibility for) or it was something which happened when the installation of the hitch went south. The exhaust person found the hole on top of the bend over the rear axle. Your are right that I could take it to another shop (where I vaguely know the owner) and see if they can make a replacement pipe from the resonator to the muffler. I just might try that.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Technical Moderator

For the record there are only 2 nuts involved in replacing the cat back portion. Just the 2 that connect the flanges, everything else hangs on rubber mounts.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:55 AM

I ordered this

2006 2011 Chevy HHR 2 2L Muffler Exhaust Pipe System AP with Gaskets | eBay

it is all carbon steel and you don't get a fancy shiny exhaust tip with it but I have a high gloss stainless steel dual tip from my '92 Pontiac I plan to put on it if I can do that and have it look decent. Otherwise a Walmart chrome tip might end up on there.

I already bought the downpipe and catalytic converter for the car last summer,

2005 2006 2007 Chevrolet HHR Catalytic Converter flex dow... | eBay

they are stainless steel.