Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Adding Bluetooth to 2009 LT

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:48 AM

Adding Bluetooth to 2009 LT

20793309 This is apparently the module number for a 2009 2010 bluetooth/onstar vcim. I am thinking about witching out the non-bluetooth onstar VCIM and it should work. I have read that I need an antenna part and have the dealer reflash the vcim.

has anyone done this yet? Have you had success?

Thanks. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:30 PM

I am also looking into this for my ls. I alreaddy installed the steering wheel. Now I think that the module is next. My friend at a local chevy dealer says that there is a ordering restriction for these modules. The antenna plugs into one of the ports on the module. Unfortunately the module is located behind the side trim panel requiring removal of the rear seat. I am searching for a module to try this.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:54 AM

OK talked to chevy dealer

Ok first update on this quest. I went into my Chevy Dealer and shoed them the part number from GMPARTSONLINE. That web site sells the module for $210 plus shipping (like 45 bucks) shipping is robbery I know but it is unreturnable so I thought I would see what my dealer could do.

I went onto the dealership, initially they told me the part was $350 but I showed them the price online and the guy said he would have to call parts and then let me know what labor would be.

So I got a call from them and they came down on the part to $285 which I would have gone for since it is only about $30 more than the online price. But here was the kicker the dealer wanted $300 labor to install it!

Now I got this via voicemail so I was not able to talk to the service guy. My next step is going to see, if I install it myself, the dealer will activate it and for how much?

Keep ya posted this may be a LONG process! LOL Any hints would be appreciated or other peoples experience.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:25 AM

This is a viable option.

http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html
Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 AM

Yes I looked at the bluestar but it is 279 dollars and I can get the Gm/onstar unit for about the same money. I would have to install both myself to make it work. The only thing is can I get the dealership to activate the onstar unit?

We shall see.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:26 PM

And the answer is????

Wanting to do the same to my 2008 SS. I was wondering how it turned out if you went to the dealer or the costartech model. It would be nice if it happen to be as easy as it described in there manual.I dont use on-star, does anyone no where the module is located to repalce with the COSTAR module??
Old 02-25-2011, 05:59 PM

OK so here is the LONG awaited update. I was going to do this upgrade months ago but with the holidays etc. I have been delayed. Anyway as I delayed I checked back on the GMParts website and found that the new model number that is given for the onstar control module with bluetooth built in is 20837492. So I looked online and found one used and ordered it today. I should have it next week sometime. If it works I will let you all know. It has been very cold here so I may not get this module installed right away. If anyone has done this upgrade let me know I would like some pointers.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:04 PM

Eureka! I recieved the onstar bluetooth module 20837492 today and installed it! Works GREAT so far.

OK, paired my IPhone 4 with it and paired without any issues at all. I have made two calls with the steering wheel controls and it works great!

I have not tried to access contacts yet so I do not know if it works.

I have not messed with onstar at all I need to get the unit paired to my vehicle by the dealership apparantly and of course that has not yet happened.

But the good news is that as far as the bluetooth functionality it was plug and play wihtout a hitch so far!!!!!!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 PM

OK I pushed my blue onstar button and this is what happened.

First I did NOT have the GM dealer do ANYTHING I put the module in myself and did NOT have the GM dealership program it or anything so YMMV.

Installed the unit it came out of a cadillac sts from a junk yard but is apparantly the replacement part for the HHR as well.

Pushed the onstar blue button and the first person wanted to sign me up and activate me. I explained that I already have an account and asked how I was showing up on the onstar computer? They said I was a grey STS and I explained that I have had to install a new module and would like to update my information and tie my HHR to this new module.

They transfered me to tech support. The lady (amber) came on the line I explained that I installed a new module in my HHR and I wanted to update the info. They looked up my account and then she put me on hold for a few minutes. she came back and made sure my phone number was correct which is was not as it was apparantly the Cadillac phone number. SO I asked her for a new local number she gave me a new number and as a thank you for updating my info gave me 160 minutes and extended onstar for 3 months! I asked if she could extend it for 6 and she said yes!!!!!!

So to recap

I have bluetooth
new number
160 free minutes
and 6 more months of onstar extended past my first free year!

Not too bad for doing a little junk yard searching and some surgery on the HHR!

ONE last thing the bluetooth sounds GREAT everyone says it sounds like I am using the phone by itself!

Last edited by psblake; 03-07-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM

Update

Everything is working very well but I do get the red light on the mirror popping on. Couple of thoughts:

I think since I have not had the GM dealership reprogram the car I do not think the components are "talking" to one another properly. For instance I had onstar give me some directions to a restaurant just to see if it was working. The voice commands worked perfectly but the radio did not display the turn by turn directions.

I think that the car is trying to upload data to onstar and the unit does not know what to do with the data since it is not programmed.

Anyway everything else works fine. The onstar phone, calling onstar, the bluetooth, voice directions, just the red light comes on periodically and the turns are not displayed on the radio.

I will eventually get the car programmed but it cost 100 bucks so I will have to wait until at least next month.

Quick Reply: Adding Bluetooth to 2009 LT