Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Adding Bluetooth to 2009 LT

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 PM

Hi, what do you think about this process for a '08 ? How did you get the part no in the first place? Thanks and goodluck, Phil
Old 04-27-2011, 11:34 PM

It should work I got the part number from one of the online GM car parts sellers. If you have onstar it should work.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:48 PM

Doing this for my 2011 LT

I recently picked up a 2011 HHR LT. My 2009 HHR LS sadly was totaled in a collision but thankfully insurance paid it off with some to spare. Now that i have my shiny new (almost fully loaded) HHR, I was disappointed to see that the ONE feature that I really wanted, Bluetooth, was not on this particular car.

I was lucky to even get this HHR, with the model closeout incentives they are running right now, had to get mine all the way from New York. With all the stuff on this car, chrome, roof rack, backup camera, mud flaps, etc, I was shocked that this did not have the hands free option. After some research I found this post and was ecstatic to see that it is indeed possible to upgrade my car to include hands-free with bluetooth.

What I wanted to add was that most dealers I talked to did not have a clue what I was talking about when I asserted that hands-free was part of On-Star and not part of the stereo itself. The indipendant car audio guys I talked to were even worse. Interestingly enough, when I went to Chevrolet's web site, at least for 2011, the hands free option is only marketed as part of the upgraded stereo package. Its likely since they tie that in with the USB stereo, that most dealers and techs just think its part of that system. Thanks to this post, I know that is not the case. THANK YOU!

I ordered the steering wheel addon and bluetooth on-star module from my dealer here in MI and depending on how saucy I feel, might do the install myself. If I do, I will take pics and document it. Hopefully they will put this on the how-to section of the site.

One question though: I might have missed this, but where is the onstar module hidden in the HHR?
Old 08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Rod Run
So this will only work if you have a current OnStar subscription? Just having the steering wheel controls and buying the handsfree module will not be enough?
Bluetooth works no matter if you have an active OnStar account or not. But if you do what is stated, you will lose any active OnStar account you currently have with your vehicle, because you will not have the correct module in the vehicle. I don't know what OnStar will say if you call them and tell them you bought a used module. I'm sure we will find out some day.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Bluetooth works no matter if you have an active OnStar account or not. But if you do what is stated, you will lose any active OnStar account you currently have with your vehicle, because you will not have the correct module in the vehicle. I don't know what OnStar will say if you call them and tell them you bought a used module. I'm sure we will find out some day.
Thank you!!

I don't have a subscription to OnStar, so this is great to know. Just last week I installed a leather wheel with the controls (out of an '07) into my '09 LS Panel. Everything worked out great but looks like this is going to be my next improvement
Old 08-03-2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by cliffracer
I recently picked up a 2011 HHR LT. My 2009 HHR LS sadly was totaled in a collision but thankfully insurance paid it off with some to spare. Now that i have my shiny new (almost fully loaded) HHR, I was disappointed to see that the ONE feature that I really wanted, Bluetooth, was not on this particular car.

I was lucky to even get this HHR, with the model closeout incentives they are running right now, had to get mine all the way from New York. With all the stuff on this car, chrome, roof rack, backup camera, mud flaps, etc, I was shocked that this did not have the hands free option. After some research I found this post and was ecstatic to see that it is indeed possible to upgrade my car to include hands-free with bluetooth.

What I wanted to add was that most dealers I talked to did not have a clue what I was talking about when I asserted that hands-free was part of On-Star and not part of the stereo itself. The indipendant car audio guys I talked to were even worse. Interestingly enough, when I went to Chevrolet's web site, at least for 2011, the hands free option is only marketed as part of the upgraded stereo package. Its likely since they tie that in with the USB stereo, that most dealers and techs just think its part of that system. Thanks to this post, I know that is not the case. THANK YOU!

I ordered the steering wheel addon and bluetooth on-star module from my dealer here in MI and depending on how saucy I feel, might do the install myself. If I do, I will take pics and document it. Hopefully they will put this on the how-to section of the site.

One question though: I might have missed this, but where is the onstar module hidden in the HHR?
The onstar module is located under the right rear window. Take off the trim panel and it is right there.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 PM

Son is wanting bluetooth badly, I think I can tell him its doable on his 09 Cobalt now too some pic would be nice.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Founding Member

Email I received today. Looks like a way to get bluetooth. But you will have to buy an Onstar Mirror. Now I wonder if the bluetooth will work without the OnStar subcription. Also I don't know if this works if you already have OnStar equipment, but don't have bluetooth.

The email:

Great news! Now you can share the peace-of-mind you get from OnStar's1 safety, security, and connectivity services with loved ones whose vehicles don't have a built-in system. By simply replacing the existing rearview mirror with the OnStar FMV2 mirror and subscribing to our service, you'll get access to the following core OnStar services:

Automatic Crash Response – Help even when you can't ask for it

Emergency – Your link to emergency service providers

Security – Stolen Vehicle and Roadside Assistance

Navigation – The convenient way to get where you're going

Connections – Hands-Free Calling with the touch of a button

Bluetooth®– Stay safely connected while on the road

Here's the link the email provided. It's a Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/onstar
Old 08-23-2011, 05:03 PM

I was told that I can not get a new VCIM for the blue tooth application if it did not come with it originally, something about ordering restriction. Like I stated earlier, I ordered a used bluetooth VCIM from Schrams Auto Parts and it came from a 2010 STS and a compatible steering wheel from another HHR. The bluetooth works great but I think that the VCIM is like a BCM and it can only be programmed once. We tried at the Tech Center, I had an electrical engineer that I work with here at GM and it did not change. I have kept my Onstar subscription so my monthly updates think my car is a 2010 STS even though it is a 2009 LS, but the bluetooth works great. I paid $100 for a used VCIM. I may try and get a new VCIM eventually but right now everything works great. I may try and put bluetooth on my wifes 2008 G6.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by jerry455
I may try and get a new VCIM eventually but right now everything works great. I may try and put bluetooth on my wifes 2008 G6.
We order them from the ESC's not GM. In your area it would be Specmo. Try Specmo.com

Quick Reply: Adding Bluetooth to 2009 LT