Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Adding Bluetooth to 2009 LT

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by cliffracer
I am itching to pull the trigger on this project for my HHR as well. Is this what you were looking at?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

If so, I am buying mine today. Do you have a part number for the steering wheel control as well? Also, is the USB radio required or can I just do the onstar module with the steering wheel and get me some bluetooth action without having to invest in the radio?
Hello,
The p/n for those are the exacet same as I used. But mine was out of a 2010 HHR. When I call onstar they think im a Blue 2010. When Im really a Orange 2008. Those are Malibu but same p/n. I think they will work but onstar will see you as a 09-10 Malibu. Reading others in this thread had the same problem when they put the Cadi VCIM in and had onstar corp correct it??

Sorry I cant guarantee what the outcome mainly because of differnce in model years and LS LT ect.....

1st step is....Do you have Onstar now with a mini microphone by the rearview mirror?

If you do then push the "phone" button on the mirror with the igintion on and if you get the handset symbol on the radio face you should be good to add the wheel controls and Bluetooth VCIM??

Last edited by Pretzel; 03-15-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 AM

Good news

I just tried it this morning and got the phone icon on my radio when pressing the phone button on my rearview mirror. So that is some good news

One concern if it came out of another vehicle model is if it will actually fit the bolt-down holes for the HHR. I am not sure if the devices are universal like that. Are they?

I just got off the phone with Schram Auto Parts in Michigan and they were less than helpful.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 PM

I got mine from Schram,

GM list this part as Interchangeable with many models. Including HHR so it should fit.
Looks just like mine :)

Last edited by Pretzel; 03-15-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:17 PM

Pulled Trigger

Well I pulled the trigger on that ebay item so we will see what that is like when it comes. Thanks for the advice and posting the pic of your onstar unit!

do you know the part number for the steering wheel control? I figured i would try and get that next.

Also, are there any good pics or how-tos of taking that back-rear internal plastic panel off without messing it up?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:51 PM

You can find what your looking for here.
Pick your year from the menu...or search.
looks like youll need items 2-3-7

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...chString=wheel

Sorry I dont have any pics to remove the panel.

Last edited by Pretzel; 03-15-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: RESIZED OVERSIZED PICTURE. 640 x 480 MAX!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Lt?

My onstar module is coming today! WOO!

Other than that, I thought I may have read that after a certain model year, you did not have to buy the wiring harness. I have a 2011 LT, it just has the lesser sterio system but has the rear view mirror with onstar.

Am I wrong? I have not bought the wheel buttons yet as I could have sworn that there was a wheel button insert that was for radio controls and another that controlled onstar. Was not sure if they were the same or if there were in fact two different ones.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 AM

SS HHR Wheel

http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/chevrolet_h...eringwheel.jpg

If you look at a close up of the radio/onstar wheel insert on the right of the wheel, you can see a couple of distinct phone icons along with the radio controls. After looking though another post on the forum talking about how to swap in radio controls I see that the blanks APPEAR identical save that the one of the SS has the phone icons and the one from the radio post does not. Could the phone icons simply be cosmetic and any insert will work?

Also, do you, or anyone reading this for that matter, know if you can pair your phone using only the onstar controls on your rearview mirror?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by cliffracer
After looking though another post on the forum talking about how to swap in radio controls I see that the blanks APPEAR identical save that the one on the SS has the phone icons and the one from the radio post does not. Could the phone icons simply be cosmetic and any insert will work?
The phone icons are cosmetic. The switch output is a resistor ladder and the outputs are the same for 15942951 (2008 HHR SS steering wheel radio control switch) and 25824388 (2009 HHR SS steering wheel radio control switch with bluetooth).

You can use either switch with the Bluetooth VCIM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:11 PM

Thanks!

I will buy that part ASAP.

The onstar module came in today and I swapped it in place of the one that came with the car. I tried the Bluetooth command test after pressing the phone button on the mirror and got nothing. I then tried to connect to the onstar service and got a never ending beep about every 4-5 seconds.

I then tried to put my old onstar module back in place and it worked fine. Does the bluetooth mod require the steering wheel buttons to work properly? I would not think that it does but I cannot say for sure. My suspicion is that my module might be bad.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 PM

I bought a whole new "used" steering wheel with leather and all the buttons from Schrams for $80.00 for my LS. It was mint and almost brand new. I also bought the module from a 2010 Cadillac and installed it in my HHR and it works perfect. If you don't have onstar it works perfect, I had a problem where they thought I had a 2010 Cadillac and set up a new account even though I talked to at least 3 different people explaining what I did and they still had a small problem with it.

Quick Reply: Adding Bluetooth to 2009 LT