Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Any Fiberglassers around here for Subs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Rest In Peace

Order is placed from US Composites.

1.5 OZ. Chopped Strand Mat, 38" wide X 10 Yards
2 Gallons 435 Standard Poly Resin (They no longer carry the popular with audio guys

B-440 Premium Polyester Layup Resin)
1 Quart Styrene (Resin Thinner)

4 OZ. MEKP Hardener (Extra besides the included hardener with each gallon)
2 OZ. Surfacing Wax (added to last resin layers to aide in Sanding)
3/8" X 3" Fiberglass Detail Roller

$145.63 Shipped.

lunchbox,
As far as the "Box Size" goes, To get the required - Sealed box volume: 0.5-1.0 cubic feet.

Ported box volume: 0.8-1.6 cubic feet.

The small box sizes for a 12" subwoofer was a selling point since I knew I wanted it Built In the HHR someplace/somehow.

Nice boxes you built there bro.

Shipping UPS Ground and won't ship out until Monday so I should have all my materials by late next week.

Sure will be Nice NOT having a big subwoofer box taking up room in the back.

Then I can finish it off with a nicely detailed Amp Rack that hides under the floor during Daily Driving, but can Show it nicely with the floor either out or in the upper position at a car show or cruise nite.

AND, still KEEP my Spare Tire.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 PM

Those subs really shine ported not so much sealed...

On mdf to fiberglass bond, you have no worries.
I suggest rabbiting edges and use fleece stapled tight to frame. Reinforce with mat or biaxial cloth from inside

I would make a panel across back with bolts to mount it securely or drill and use nut inserts on side into structural areas of body frame...

Do not face them towards each other
Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by EcotecRacer
Those subs really shine ported not so much sealed...

On mdf to fiberglass bond, you have no worries.
I suggest rabbiting edges and use fleece stapled tight to frame. Reinforce with mat or biaxial cloth from inside

I would make a panel across back with bolts to mount it securely or drill and use nut inserts on side into structural areas of body frame...

Do not face them towards each other
At 50 years old, likes more of a SQ system that I can crank up with a tune I like. And I like ALOT of tunes.

A pair of these Pioneer TS-W3002D4 12 In. subs each with it's own Pioneer GM-D8500M Class-D Mono Amplifier should do ok in these non ported boxes in a 90% complete "dynomatted" (I used another brand that was thicker) HHR Panel.

I ordered up some 60'' Wide Ponte Double Knit Black Fabric 2 yards of it. Suggested on another Audio forum to use Ponte fabric..

I'll rabbet the edge, I already have 3 or 4 air staplers.

I do have a Nutsert installation tool, looks sorta like a large rivet gun. So I could do that.

Most likely I will angle the subs slightly towards the back, don't want anyone hitting their heads while sitting in the back seat.

I have the second mono amp and the grill here already, I will order up the second sub next week.

Fabric is on its way via UPS, and the USC stuff will be on a UPS truck hopefully on Monday and be here by the end of the week.

Should be a challenging project but will be well worth it to get 2 12"subs and out of the way ! Keeping my spare tire is a BIG Plus for me. Was planning on removing it and fiberglassing a box/amp rack combo in the well area.

Thanks for the input, I'm sure I will have more questions as I proceed.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:15 AM

Ponte fabric works great. Soak it down good! And I suggest to rear facing anytime!
With that amount of power sealed get you plenty dB lol

Nut inserts rock and would give you best options. Make your own angle brackets hidden by stock panel and bolt in through sub hole as you mentioned