Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Audio help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 07:26 AM

Audio help needed!!

Hey guys and gals! I'm Ryan proud owner of a 09 HHR LT. I have a few detailed questions to ask that I couldn't pin point my answers by searching and reading other threads.

So I'm trying to install my 8" 250w bazooka tube in my cargo area. The battery is in the back so pretty much my install for power and ground is cake and ice cream. Since I do NOT have the premium audio package I have NO factory subwoofer to use the auxiliary input lines from the radio. This forces me to tie into my rear speakers. No problem my bazooka tube recommends this method over rca/aux input.

So now this brings me to my detailed questions.

1. Do I have acces to any speaker wires in the cargo area? If so where?

2. Do I have a power supply to tap into in cargo area for remote power supply for the amp? If so where?

3. What is easier. Removing head unit and tap into speaker wires? Or remove TWO door panals to gain access to speaker wires?....keep in mind I want to run the wires as painless as possible.

So with all that said can anyone help a guy out?
Thanks in advance
-Ryan
Old 12-20-2015, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! I would run the wires from the head unit back down under the console, less time spent then routing wires from the door area or the pillar by the driver seat.

I'm sure more ideas will be coming!
Old 12-20-2015, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Welcome to the site! I would run the wires from the head unit back down under the console, less time spent then routing wires from the door area or the pillar by the driver seat.

I'm sure more ideas will be coming!
I was hoping I would get lucky and there would be extended speaker wires in the cargo area since it has an option for a sub back there. I truly don't want to remove radio unless I truly have same goes for the door panals.

Any detailed wiring diagrams floating around the forums for the wiring in the cargo area of the vehicle?
Old 12-21-2015, 10:40 PM

There is a thread here somewhere about tapping into the rear speaker wires as they pass along the bottoms of the front doors. Not really much easier though. They go up the b - pillar from there on the base system, not into the cargo area.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:43 AM
Deceased

This might be the tread, maybe....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audi...ng-chart-5292/

Or maybe not, I remember just enough of the thread that prod is referencing, but it's an "Oldie" from many years back.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:11 AM
Administrator

To bad that thread is a decade old and the pictures don't show!
Old 12-22-2015, 11:31 AM

I had stereo problems of my very own, in my '06, some years ago now, that's what brought me to the forum in the first place.

While I had the radio out of the dash I just ran additional wires form the stock wiring loom back so I had access to hook up the bazooka speaker. I'm not a big fan of the T tap wiring system but that's what I used to splice into the wires with. I tapped the rear speaker wires in the dash and ran my new ones under the carpet to the back.

The bazooka had a simple cigarette lighter plug on it already so I just plugged that into the rear cigarette lighter socket.

The incredibly cheap bazooka bass speaker I had claimed to have 300 watts of raw power driving the dedicated long throw 6" sub woofer. There was indeed a small amplifier inside but the values of the components might have totaled up to as much as 20 watts total boost.

Don't think you can actually run a 300 watt amp on a amp and a half fuse with the really light gauge wire attached to the cigarette lighter plug. Anyway the thing did give me more bump to my beat so I liked it.

I just got tired of it being in the way and rolling around back there all the time. I put a sandbag over it to help keep it from moving around so much but that took up even more of my cargo room so I sold the bazooka just to get rid of it.