Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

bunch of questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:52 AM

bunch of questions

1. what is the stock 8" sub box size?

2. I have the 2010 hhr ST - is there actually a box back behind the plastic cover where the sub could go?

3. what are the stock tweeter sizes? I want to get components to replace them

4. why do some frequencies not hit hard as they did in my old SUV?

5. How much cubic feet is under the lid thing? how about when taking the tray AND spare tire out?

6. how much cubic feet would there be for an IB setup level with the top of the rear seats?

7. how are the front mids and tweets wired (or WHERE are they bridged, rather) I want to run aftermarket mids and tweets, tweets off separate channels and filters than the mids for obvious reasons)

8. whats a good place for amps? would under seats work? behind panels?
Old 01-21-2012, 06:40 AM

Welcome. Don't have answers to your questions but I'm curious about one of them. You must mean that you have an HHR LS or an HHR LT. I've never heard of an HHR ST.

Last edited by db/sb; 01-21-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Deceased

First off, I'm not an audio guy, all my HHR's have the factory Premium system. The '07 and '11 came that way, and I retrofitted it into the '06, that's the sum total of my audio tinkering.

Here's a link on adding a factory subwoofer, it also has the wiring diagrams that you may find useful.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/adding-factory-sub-woofer-stock-hhr-radio-16226/

Here's a link to American & Proud's system thread, he's probably one the top three HHR audio people here, so you might want to shoot him a PM with more of your detailed questions.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/hhr-audio-video-buildup-questions-30918/

That's all I got man, hope this helps you some.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
Welcome. Don't have answers to your questions but I'm curious about one of them. You must mean that you have an HHR LS or an HHR LT. I've never heard of an HHR ST.
oh wow, that's not an easy typo to fix! (username)

I'm pretty sure it's an LT

Originally Posted by 843de
First off, I'm not an audio guy, all my HHR's have the factory Premium system. The '07 and '11 came that way, and I retrofitted it into the '06, that's the sum total of my audio tinkering.

Here's a link on adding a factory subwoofer, it also has the wiring diagrams that you may find useful.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16226

Here's a link to American & Proud's system thread, he's probably one the top three HHR audio people here, so you might want to shoot him a PM with more of your detailed questions.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30918

That's all I got man, hope this helps you some.
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2010hhrst
1. What is the stock 8" sub box size? somewhere between .5 and .6 cft but it is hard to tell do to the very irregular shape.

2. I have the 2010 hhr st - is there actually a box back behind the plastic cover where the sub could go? yes there is but it is super thin plastic pos

3. What are the stock tweeter sizes? I want to get components to replace them i did not measure their size but they look like 3/4. Just pull the pilar off and you will see what you would have to work with. Just takes a 7mm and some pulling.

4. Why do some frequencies not hit hard as they did in my old suv? there are several factors all contributing to this. The box is not rigid and would flex if the sub had enough power to drive it. The 8 is the least of the issue but still an issue. The amp well the sub side of it is a joke even more so then the rest of it. I believe that when the sub is playing it draws too much of the current from the rest of the amp and the system just sounds dull. I stopped running the factory sub right now and as i am building a system in it's place and found that the fronts can handle and make more bass then the sub can.

5. How much cubic feet is under the lid thing? How about when taking the tray and spare tire out? not sure

6. How much cubic feet would there be for an ib setup level with the top of the rear seats? i do not know the size but to do that you would need it to seal off both the back of the seats and the top of them as well as the factory sub opening since ib setups seperate 100% of the trunk from the cabin and we have no trunks. Basically only the lift gate would not need a baffle so you are almost building a complete box anyways.

7. How are the front mids and tweets wired (or where are they bridged, rather) i want to run aftermarket mids and tweets, tweets off separate channels and filters than the mids for obvious reasons) i would have to guess they are seperated at the kick panels. The amp only has 6 sets of speaker wires.

8. Whats a good place for amps? Would under seats work? Behind panels?
this will depend on size for fitting under seats but there is a lot of room under our seats. Most people house them in the spare tire upper compartment. I will be putting mine in the right side storage bin and have slides to pull them up into view or for working on/with them.
hth
Old 01-21-2012, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
hth
I'm actually running a 10" dual 4 ohm 500w rms sub in a 1.0 ported box (125w rms per coil on a 2 channel p500-2)

But all that really helps, thank you!