Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Driver's side, passenger rear, and tweeter died

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM

Driver's side, passenger rear, and tweeter died

Hello all,

I have a 2009 HHR, and a few months ago I noticed pretty much everything except the passenger side stereo going out intermittently, and it's been completely out for over a month. I can't take it anymore, because I love my tunes.

I want to try to do something about it myself, and I'm not sure how to approach it. Obviously, I need to check the wiring for anything loose, and I couldn't find anything like a guide on how to remove the panels, radio, etc. to check the wiring.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-20-2012, 10:07 AM

@wzolla86, I hope things will go smoothly with your HHR project. I’m sure there will be members of the forum that will assist you with this. I’m curious as to what you find out is causing this.

From my family to yours, we hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Premium Member

Please define "passenger side stereo"

Take the a-pillar and/or door panel off and check the connections and test the speaker itself on the head unit or an amp to test the actual speakers

do you have a stock head unit? using an amp or is everything stock?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. Everything should be stock. It was a rental car before I bought it.

Passenger side stereo = one of the speakers in the front, passenger side. I door speaker I believe. Only speaker that's working at the moment.

Checked the balance and fade. It's not a mus-adjustment of those.

Also, before I check any wiring, should the battery be unplugged? I was told that if you start touching the wires with the battery connected, you could cause a short and drain the battery. But if that's the case how are you going to check the connections without taking the battery on or off with each adjustment?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by wzolla86
Thanks for the reply. Everything should be stock. It was a rental car before I bought it.

Passenger side stereo = one of the speakers in the front, passenger side. I door speaker I believe. Only speaker that's working at the moment.

Checked the balance and fade. It's not a mus-adjustment of those.

Also, before I check any wiring, should the battery be unplugged? I was told that if you start touching the wires with the battery connected, you could cause a short and drain the battery. But if that's the case how are you going to check the connections without taking the battery on or off with each adjustment?
Which speakers ARE working?

The speakers are connected THROUGH the head unit, so you do not need to remove the battery to play around with speaker wires (JUST DON'T LET THE WIRES TOUCH EACH OTHER)

To get the a-pillars off, pry off the "air bag" label, un do the screw behind it and gently lift up and it comes right off.

You will need another speaker to test the wiring from the head unit to the speakers to confirm it's the wiring or speaker itself.

To get the door panel off, remove the 2 bolts in the side pocket (behind the window switch) and there is a little plastic tab behind the door handle. You gotta pry the panel off and then UP. Get a panel remover tool for best results. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=48579_0_0_ this is the one I bought