Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Passenger side, rear thud

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 PM

Passenger side, rear thud

Sure this has been beat to death on the forum but several searches later I've really only found front end noise correction (via sway bar bushings, end links etc).

2011 with 126,000 miles - I think I've done good to only really need to change the oil and tires up until now.

Any pot hole, rise\dip or other imperfection on the passengers side of the road gives me a noticeable thud from the rear passenger wheel area.

It's safe to assume the shock is worn out but I wanted to ask about the handsized gasket at the top of the spring. Mine fell apart in my hands while inspecting the shock and other parts in the rear wheel well. Is that gasket needed and possibly part of my noise? (or is it going to be the rear shocks?)

I'll go ahead and do the front end suspension work while I have it up on jack stands, but wanted to ask mainly about the spring gasket.

The only other thread I found re: rear noises turned out to be the plastic body panels rising and falling incorrectly.

thanks for the opinions
Rain
Old 11-11-2014, 05:59 PM

Yes, it got beat to death by the dead shocks somewhere around 70,000 miles. Nobody ever looks at them anymore or the struts for that matter, since the throw is so much shorter than the old fashioned ones they don't make as much difference to the ride.

Once you get the shocks off the springs come out with a bit of prying on the trailing arm, then you can replace the bumpers/isolators.

Here is a good link for the parts and pictures: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...p-stops-51841/
Old 06-25-2015, 04:36 PM

Thread revival in progress. . . . . . . . stand back. . . . ~

Thats sounds pretty close to whats going on with my passenger rear.

Thanks Rain and DonBrew. . . .