Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

My new build

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Not trying to Hijack your thread little bro
I was informed this past weekend that to make the front stage speakers in the dash they need to be pointed ( or very close to ) right behind the little interior light in the ceiling .
This I will leave to the professionals and pay to have mine completed .
Check out this thread on this site . My doors will look very similar to this install . The black and white photos are what I handed over to Hybrid as to what I was looking for .

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=40035&page=3
Old 07-30-2013, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
Nice looking build. Those NE Vifa's look really nice. Nice kerfing on that center piece. Have you considered the NE 3" for it?

Have you powered up what you have in there yet? Specifically your pillar speakers? I am curious if you have or will have any rainbowing effects from having the mids in the pillars. I know I did and a friend with another HHR that has his Focal's up there does suffer from this as well. I moved my mr's down to my kicks and fixed this issue. Seeing two HHR's have this issue I am wondering if all our HHR's will have this issue with mr's in the pillars.
I have but I do also have a pair of the 2.5" NE Speakers as well. Just would need a tweeter to squeeze in the middle and do a MTM configuration.

As far as the rainbow effect with the 4s on the dash, there is none. The only rainbow effect I've ever noticed is from my 8s in the door. My initial crossover settings for each driver goes as follows
8" = 40Hz-500Hz @ 24db
4" = 500Hz-3500Hz @ 12db
Tweeter = 3500Hz - Up

Now when I said I had a rainbow effect from my 8s I got it mainly in one song by Muse where there drummer plays his whole spectrum on the lower toned drums. I could localize the 8 with ease. Drums went from the center of the dash to in the doors.. I'm thinking I need to lower the crossover to 250-300Hz or so. When I get it back up and running here in the next couple weeks, I'll tweak it more.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by MsBecky
Not trying to Hijack your thread little bro
I was informed this past weekend that to make the front stage speakers in the dash they need to be pointed ( or very close to ) right behind the little interior light in the ceiling .
This I will leave to the professionals and pay to have mine completed .
Check out this thread on this site . My doors will look very similar to this install . The black and white photos are what I handed over to Hybrid as to what I was looking for .

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=40035&page=3
My '07 doesn't have that light. Where mine are aimed are to the center of the vehicle at ear level, well my ear level. But since I am not pleased with the outcome of my pillars (first time) I will be trying that and probably give that a shot. Although, my good buddy who owns a shop up in Minnesota has an employee with a HHR that has the Audison Voce 3-way setup and his A-pillars have the MR and Tweet Off-Axis aimed at each other essentially and sound damn good with a good center image. But I do have to admit, I am jealous that you have Hybrid Audio at a short driving distance.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:28 PM

Eric , try this little experiment .
Cut your 8`s off at 250 hz 24 db . Start your 4`s at 500 hz 24 db . See what that does to the stage . 315 hz is a common hot spot in a vehicle . The HHR showed a serious peak @ 315 hz ( ours ) when we ran a sweep for the sub before we ever touched the car .
Just try it little bro . The bottom of the female vocal will stay well above the dash level .
Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pigeon will tell on a car that has an issue with the mids pulling the stage down on the edges . Hence the rainbow effect .
By no way am I telling you what to do , so please do not take that way . We are here to learn from each other , and that is something I wanted to share with you .
Now onto Hybrid , yes it is a blessing to live 15 minutes from the corporate office . But I must say this . It does not matter who you are , if you have a vision and some money , they will work with in your budget .
Anyway , you keep doing what you are doing . You have skills at a young age .
The IASCA finials are in Huntsville, AL on October 19-20 . Once again we got lucky , it is only 3.5 hour drive from C u m m ing GA .
Really wish you could drive down for this event , it will be great .
Greg
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 PM

Eric , try this little experiment .
Cut your 8`s off at 250 hz 24 db . Start your 4`s at 500 hz 24 db . See what that does to the stage . 315 hz is a common hot spot in a vehicle . The HHR showed a serious peak @ 315 hz ( ours ) when we ran a sweep for the sub before we ever touched the car .
Just try it little bro . The bottom of the female vocal will stay well above the dash level .
Spanish Harlem by Rebecca Pigeon will tell on a car that has an issue with the mids pulling the stage down on the edges . Hence the rainbow effect .
By no way am I telling you what to do , so please do not take that way . We are here to learn from each other , and that is something I wanted to share with you .
Now onto Hybrid , yes it is a blessing to live 15 minutes from the corporate office . But I must say this . It does not matter who you are , if you have a vision and some money , they will work with in your budget .
Anyway , you keep doing what you are doing . You have skills at a young age .
The IASCA finials are in Huntsville, AL on October 19-20 . Once again we got lucky , it is only 3.5 hour drive from C u m m ing GA .
Really wish you could drive down for this event , it will be great .
Greg
What speaker would be playing from 250Hz-500Hz? Or am I reading that wrong? But I will definitely try crossing the 8 lower. I'm not taking your advice in the wrong way, everyone has a different way of doing things, like you said learn from one another.

Maybe next year I'll give that whirl. I'm attempting to make a show in Minnesota this year since Iowa has no SQ shows at all. So next year will have to be the year of traveling to shows and seeing new scenery.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Eric B
What speaker would be playing from 250Hz-500Hz? Or am I reading that wrong? But I will definitely try crossing the 8 lower. I'm not taking your advice in the wrong way, everyone has a different way of doing things, like you said learn from one another.

Maybe next year I'll give that whirl. I'm attempting to make a show in Minnesota this year since Iowa has no SQ shows at all. So next year will have to be the year of traveling to shows and seeing new scenery.
Gap the freq between the two drivers . 315hz is a hot spot , so instead of trying to eq down the area , just do it with the cross over . Just give it a try and see what it does in your application . It may or may not work ....
Greg
Old 07-31-2013, 05:23 PM

Gap the freq between the two drivers . 315hz is a hot spot , so instead of trying to eq down the area , just do it with the cross over . Just give it a try and see what it does in your application . It may or may not work ....
Greg
I'll have to try that. But I don't think the MS-8 will let me do that. So I may just have to EQ it down. :-/
Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 PM

Just ordered some supplies for my amp rack. Stay tuned! :)
Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 PM

Ohh I am tuned in Little Bro . For such a young fella , you have the skill set required to become a very serious custom installer .
Old 08-09-2013, 05:24 PM

Puttin in some work this weekend.

Quick Reply: My new build