Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Rear stock speakers not working - where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:41 AM

Rear stock speakers not working - where to start?

Hi all,

Both rear speakers on my '09 with a completely stock / base audio system are not working. When I fade to rear settings, I hear absolute silence. I'm wondering what the most likely culprit is before I start taking door panels off.

I'm willing to upgrade the speakers if they're dead, but I'd also be okay with living with the stock speakers if there's a simple fix. I'm not sure if it's related, but my rear power windows work only sporadically (from the driver controls).

Thanks in advance
Old 10-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Technical Moderator

Unfortunately, the easiest place to start is tearing the door panels off. They are not that big a problem, just be aware of the screws inside the pull/arm rest, and the pin on the door near the latch.

If you go to any GM online parts website and search for any part in the door, you should be able to get a blow-up illustration of the door to identify where the clips are.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

Take screws out and just pull the door panel off, then check the ohm load on the speaker to see what it reads and then hook up wire directly to it to check if it works or not. Then you will know if it's the speaker, or the wiring from the speaker to the head unit (and possibly the head unit itself)

The driver control issue is due to the contacts getting gunked up. I took my control apart, and cleaned the contacts and now the rear windows work 100%. I thought they were going out. I would press really hard thinking that was the problem. But it wasn't.

I can make a video showing you how to remove the control module if you like. But it's only 2 bolts inside the little tray with the rubber cover and then you just pull up on it, and the rest is pretty simple. Just pop the clips out and I think there were a couple screws.

Be careful of the auto roll down piece because now my drivers windows won't roll down automatically. I must not have placed the little piece of plastic in there correctly or something. You will know what I'm talking about when you take it apart.

Be sure to check if it works BEFORE putting everything back together though.