Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Speaker question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:21 AM

Speaker question

Ok, well my HHR speakers have been dropping like flys. Went from one out to one working in a week. I just ordered replacement speakers, mounts, connectors and foam covers to do the front, now the back ones have dropped out this week. I assume the rears need all the same parts.

My question is do you just install new speakers or does anyone cut the tweeter lead from the new speaker since the car has separate tweeters? Just wondering if it will sound like all tweeter with 6 tweeters? Or if the ohms will burn the radio out. I know nothing about ohms.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Banned

Size wise, yes the rear speakers are the same as the front.

As for the tweeter question, I can't answer that, but please don't get too twitterpated over it!
Old 04-10-2015, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by LawDog88
Size wise, yes the rear speakers are the same as the front.

As for the tweeter question, I can't answer that, but please don't get too twitterpated over it!

Oooohhhmmm

I assume the backs also need the mounts?
Old 04-11-2015, 12:37 AM

Problems with my stereo is what brought me to this site some years ago now.

It took some messing around for me to finally figure out it was the speakers in the first place the front speakers are 4 ohm and the rears are 8 ohms but I am currently running all 8 ohm speakers in my HHR and have been for a few years now and all is well.

I have put a lot of different speakers in my doors over the years. From some pretty pricy Bose speakers to the cheap Walmart speakers that are in there now.

I have a problem with high frequency sound so I disabled the tweeters in the two way coaxial speakers I have in the car now. In my case the stock tweeters in the door pillars are just fine but those little ones in the door speakers drove me up the wall.

You can cut the original speakers out and put in standard round speakers or buy speaker adaptors or do like I did and make some. I happened to have some 1/2" plastic stock left over from building my router table that worked great but I've seen folks use MDF or even plywood to make them. You just need something to fill the odd shaped hole.

BUT, its totally up to you, if you like the sound leave them alone, if it aggravates you enough you can always take the doors a part and clip the wires later.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:30 AM

Thanks all, Well since I had ordered two speakers, two adapters, two foam hats and two wire connectors, and then the rear speakers died. I just did the right side of the car first, as the drivers door was still working. Reordered everything again to do drivers side of car.

I though the speaker adapters were a blessing for less than 9 bucks for 2. I also put in the foam covers and then cut half away as I saw someone here do. Also the speaker connectors were perfect also. Only thing is the adapters don't have any screws. It was easier to build my speaker/adapter then pop door panel off. I did not even disconnect wires on the back one, just lifted panel held it up with a bungie, took out speaker, installed new one and back together.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:15 PM

I like the tweets in the a pillars. Livens up the sound stage. Most factory headunits will play down to a 2 ohm load.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

It's best to replace them at least in pairs. Go for all 4 if you so desire. Better one big job if you replace all 4 now, than two smaller ones down the road?