Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Speaker whining

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:53 PM

Speaker whining

How can I stop this speaker whine? I installed a after market radio with the GMOS 03 adapter is there something for this?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by BIGJP
How can I stop this speaker whine? I installed a after market radio with the GMOS 03 adapter is there something for this?
Sounds like a bad ground. The HHR isa notorias for bad grounds. How did you connect the antenna? Reason I ask is the the OEM HU uses the antenna as a ground also.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:24 PM

Welcome to the club...Those with aftermarket stereo and experienced engine noise after installation Like previously mentioned, the HHR has a history of doing this. First, we need some more info on your setup.

Was anything else installed, like an amp? Did you use the factory ground for the stereo? If so, find another ground. Try to find a ground directly to the chasis. There are some spots behind the center console fuse box. Make sure it is a good contact with bare metal.

Ng
Old 03-05-2007, 07:49 AM

I installed a kenwood receiver with a sirius tuner and yes I did use the factory ground. I saw a thread where the main ground next to battery tells how to sand down the paint off the metal. I tried but I guess it wound be better to find another ground. Also I am going to install a clarion amp with a 8'" punch sub going into the factory location. When I take out the factory amp can I use the remote wire on the factory wiring or do I have to connect directly to my receiver? Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by BIGJP
I installed a kenwood receiver with a sirius tuner and yes I did use the factory ground. I saw a thread where the main ground next to battery tells how to sand down the paint off the metal. I tried but I guess it wound be better to find another ground. Also I am going to install a clarion amp with a 8'" punch sub going into the factory location. When I take out the factory amp can I use the remote wire on the factory wiring or do I have to connect directly to my receiver? Thanks for all the help.
You have an aftermarket receiver, run new remote wire from it. Don't use any of the factory wiring for your aftermarket amp. I went a step further and ran all new wiring for all the door speakers. That was a pain in the **s When I did my install I changed almost all the wiring. The factory wiring looked cheap to me.

I could be wrong but I believe that the factory remote for the amp was powered by the factory stereo. So I believe that without the factory stereo that harness will not have remote power. And don't add anything until you've figured out that engine noise.

Ng
Old 03-05-2007, 12:35 PM

Thanks