Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Sub install

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 10:07 AM

I saw a post on here somewhere that had pics of the factory sub.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Banned

I don't have many but here you go:
Name:  Picture190.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  55.3 KB
Name:  Picture189.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  52.3 KB
I have to pull it out again this weekend so I'll snap some more shots for you Adam. It's not that hard to get it out but it's a pain in th a**. You have to pull out most of the panels in the back in the middle and drivers side. The lower panel that hides the sub is locked into the panel above it surounding the back window. The factory box is very shallow and the factory sub is bolted in to the back of the box. Of course that's after I put the Audiobahn in the box, you don't really want to see the ugly crap factory sub.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:21 PM

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product....pid=32&cur=USD

if u want to add bass and not lose the spare tire look into thouse... they fit between the floor and the tire if u take out that plastic crap inbetween... ill be installed 6 in a false floor hopefully soon.. there 6.5" drivers.. soo cute lol there orded n should arive soon... what i would like to know from howdy is how he got that side panel out... maybe some pics or something... i havnt looked or tried but id like a heads up before i head out there n do it myself... thats a great spot to install the amp for the subs...
Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Banned

I'll do it again over the weekend and post pics.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Skatetheglobe
Ive been racking my brain trying to figure out how I can add subs without taking out the spair plus leaving the cargo are open and I can't.
First, let me say I'm running 2-10's in a bandpass box and it is TOO MUCH bass for the HHR's small boxy interior. (At least for my taste.)

I'm going to be experimenting with other options soon.

Secondly, if you want to retain the cargo area, why not try this:

Pull the rear side panels and cut 5/8" MDF panels to fit behind both sides (this will add rigidity to the side panels). Then cut single or dual 8" holes on each side for woofers. Install some Dynamat on the inside of the body panels to kill any vibration, then stuff some polyfill down in the bottom of the cavity to control resonance.

At least with this method, you will retain a) your cargo area, and b) your SPARE - which you will one day be thankful for.

Just sharing ideas - hope it helps,
Old 02-01-2006, 12:52 PM

k a few questions ..agian :) Does the box come if you dont get the upgraded sound system ( i would guess not) Is there enough room on the other side to do it exactly like it is where the factory is. If it is i could fit 2 8's or 10's one one each side and mount the amps next to them. That'd be perfect If I could do that.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Banned

The box is only in the premium Pioneer system to my knowledge. I have never pulled off the other side panel so I dont know how much room is behind it but I would imagine a little less seeing as how the fuel fill is on that side. You don't have that much room to play with. See the size of the factory box in relation to the sub. That is exactly how much room you have. The box is shoehorned in there with no room to play with. The box fills every posible inch of the back area, from the wheel well to the window and from the tail lights to the back seat. There isn't much room in there at all! You'll also notice that the box is shaped like the wheel well.

Last edited by captain howdy; 02-01-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by adamlowery
k a few questions ..agian :) Does the box come if you dont get the upgraded sound system ( i would guess not) Is there enough room on the other side to do it exactly like it is where the factory is. If it is i could fit 2 8's or 10's one one each side and mount the amps next to them. That'd be perfect If I could do that.
What Howdy said.

PLUS: Just know that if you want to add 10's in the sides, you WILL lose the ability to move the floor panel into the upper "package shelf" configuration.

2-8" or 1-10 will fit on both sides though...(if mounted to an MDF backing panel.)
Old 02-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
What Howdy said.

PLUS: Just know that if you want to add 10's in the sides, you WILL lose the ability to move the floor panel into the upper "package shelf" configuration.

2-8" or 1-10 will fit on both sides though...(if mounted to an MDF backing panel.)
And you use free air subs.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:28 PM

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthre...&highlight=700

Take a look at that... there is nothing wrong with small subs... u could do 2 6's on each side in a sealed .7cuft box... then u could get a small amp something cheap, ull only need 500-700rms... and it will have excellent sound quality

Quick Reply: Sub install