Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Thanks to PAL I get free XM - but there's one catch...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Founding Member

I find by sorting my IPOD into play lists with the Itunes software and then only uploading one playlist of less than 100 songs the IPOD is quicker to respond when hooked up to the PAL. After you get used to the controls it really works well. Then when I get tired of that playlist I just change to another with Itunes.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 PM

Angelita, I never ever once thought you were rude. We're all pals here and I sincerely appreciate all the responses. When I sold the BMW it was with a heavy heart but my toddler was trashing it. I kinda knew what I was getting into and I don't have any delusions about the HHR. I just wish the PAL was engineered a little better. Chevrolets used to be quality cars and over the years arrogance met real competition and the result is basically a sub-par car that's not built to last and not designed as well as others in the same price range. No reason for that - the best and the brightest are in this country. Problem is, they're apparently not employed by GM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HardyHarHHR
Chevrolets used to be quality cars and over the years arrogance met real competition and the result is basically a sub-par car that's not built to last and not designed as well as others in the same price range. No reason for that - the best and the brightest are in this country. Problem is, they're apparently not employed by GM.
Wow, you're really full of yourself, aren't you? There's a lot of people on this board who DO work for GM and a lot of people who are related to those people like myself.

I'm truly sorry the PAL wasn't installed properly by the dealership. It's a tragedy beyond compare. While other vehicle manufacturers chose to completely ignore iPod integration, GM stepped up and worked with Panasonic to introduce the PAL two years ago. BMW uses Alpine radios, Chevrolet uses Panasonic. Price difference between an HHR and a similarly equipped 330i? About 15-20 grand. Which car is going to cost more to repair after the warranty is up? The car that sorts your iPod playlist faster.

I guess it's okay to trash Chevrolet if it's the car you bought so that your toddler could trash it instead of your yuppie-mobile. Maybe instead of trashing GM, Chevrolet, and the PAL, you should take the car to another dealer or even get the unit re-flashed to see if that fixes the problem.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:08 AM

This has nothing to do with class warfare, yuppies or money. It has to do with the fact the iPod controller that (my beloved) Chevrolet released is piss poor.

There are other items on the market that seem to work just fine with the iPod. Hell, the iPod itself is as perfect an electronic device gets... I have 10,000 songs and can get to any of them within 10 to 15 seconds on my iPod.

With the PAL it could take 5 to 10 minutes if it truly is a random chosen song. Talk about two steps back! I use the AUX input 90% of the time.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM

HardyharHHR, well said.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Wow, you're really full of yourself, aren't you?
Ya know what, Crafty - you don't know squat about me and the fact that you turned this into a personal attack against me is COMPLETE PROOF that you don't have a leg to stand on in this conversation. Whether I drive a BMW or a Yugo the fact of the matter is THE PAL IS A TOTAL PIECE OF CRAP. Look around. Ask anyone. Read the rest of the posts here. No points for "trying" GM, either get it right or wait until you can get it right.

Feel free to pass that on along with all of our issues to all your friends at GM you are apparently defending while attacking me. Thanks for being a total jerk. Wait a second - maybe YOU invented the PAL? Now it's all making sense.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:36 PM

For the record, the rest of my HHR is brilliant (mechanically) and I expect it to last every bit as long as any other car. (I'll leave out the window button placement.... :) )

But seriously, anyone that has over 500 songs on their iPod (and that has to be the point of contention) has to realize that to get to any song on the iPod from dead cold stop is just painful as hell!!

I made playlists and use it sometimes, but to just randomly choose "Beach Boys - Kokomo" from a start... I swear, it could take 10 minutes! I can't drive and do that!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HardyHarHHR
Ya know what, Crafty - you don't know squat about me and the fact that you turned this into a personal attack against me is COMPLETE PROOF that you don't have a leg to stand on in this conversation. Whether I drive a BMW or a Yugo the fact of the matter is THE PAL IS A TOTAL PIECE OF CRAP. Look around. Ask anyone. Read the rest of the posts here. No points for "trying" GM, either get it right or wait until you can get it right.

Feel free to pass that on along with all of our issues to all your friends at GM you are apparently defending while attacking me. Thanks for being a total jerk. Wait a second - maybe YOU invented the PAL? Now it's all making sense.
You made it personal when you said that the best and brightest were obviously not working at GM. You also brought it on yourself when you said you bought the HHR just so your kid could tear it up instead of your nice BMW. Didn't expect someone to actually stand up for GM, did you? I find it hilarious that someone who can't tell that they're listening to the XM Preview channel has the nerve to post on the internet comments on the intelligence of GM engineers.

Make some playlists and the device will work better. Or you can let the iPod do the heavy lifting and plug it into the aux port on the front of the stereo.

And no, I didn't "invent" the PAL...
Old 09-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Banned

Maybe his kid could figure it out easier.
===============
Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
You made it personal when you said that the best and brightest were obviously not working at GM. You also brought it on yourself when you said you bought the HHR just so your kid could tear it up instead of your nice BMW. Didn't expect someone to actually stand up for GM, did you? I find it hilarious that someone who can't tell that they're listening to the XM Preview channel has the nerve to post on the internet comments on the intelligence of GM engineers.

Make some playlists and the device will work better. Or you can let the iPod do the heavy lifting and plug it into the aux port on the front of the stereo.

And no, I didn't "invent" the PAL...
Old 09-13-2008, 03:41 PM

Hey HHRCrappy,

Well, well, well - obviously you're drinking the GM kool-aid. How's it taste - like failure? Next time you're at the I LOVE GM Jamboree in beautiful Detroit feel free to share all of mine and everyone else's feelings about the excellent PAL and all the GM quality with G. Richard Wagoner, Jr., Frederick A. Henderson and Robert A. Lutz. They might be too busy to answer you cause they have to somehow figure out how GM lost 38 BILLION DOLLARS last year alone. I'm guessing it's cause they can't build quality cars that last a long time but what do I know? I'm too 'full of myself' to think straight like you. Or...you can ask the millions of die-hard GM fans that got fed up with of the lack of build quality and bought Japanese and German cars why they no longer drink the GM kool-aid. It's not hard to find them just survey any parking lot or this forum for that matter.

Honestly GM should be on here every day reading complaints cause they can definitely learn from their failure and get their act together. 38 billion is a heckuva lot of money to lose in just one year. Even a BMW-driving yuppie like me knows that.

Quick Reply: Thanks to PAL I get free XM - but there's one catch...