Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

What do I need to upgrade radio to bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 12:18 AM

yes, mirror and radio shouldn't matter. the non-dimming and dimming on-star mirror are interchangeable (both use same 16-pin connector) so that's an easy swap (did that already, leather steering wheel w/ radio controls is backordered)-:
Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 PM

So what's the final verdict on this? has anyone been successful in adding bluetooth to an older model? I would love to have it in my 2008 SS.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 PM

the verdict seems to be if you want OEM it isn't happening. They changed the Onstar module, which it uses as well, and that module is not compatible with anything before 09.

So it looks like we are out of luck. Truly Sad. Wish GM would actually think of things like this.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 PM

Well, I think I'm still in the running. I have an '09 HHR LT, so I'm installing the updated radio with 3.5mm plug as well as the USB port. I have a penny-pincher for a dealer, he charges for anything and everything. Told me that IF I installed the radio myself, he would reset my new radio to my car for "only $47.50". He also tried to tell me that if I installed the '09 SS mirror on my car, it would "probably" void my warranty. I installed the mirror, just plugged it in, no worries. Worked like a charm.

He wanted me to install the radio, that way if anything went wrong, he would be blameless. The next nearest dealer is 55 miles away.

So, back to the problem at hand - I should only have to replace my OnStar module with the "bluetooth" version, and I would be good to go? How much trouble would that be to acquire one, and to install it? Or do I already have it, just need the steering wheel control to access it?

Questions, questions, questions. It never ends.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by UncleDannie
So, back to the problem at hand - I should only have to replace my OnStar module with the "bluetooth" version, and I would be good to go? How much trouble would that be to acquire one, and to install it? Or do I already have it, just need the steering wheel control to access it?
So I posted this in another thread after adding the radio controls to my 09 LS:

press mute button for a few seconds to get to onstar. say the word "bluetooth" is not recognized by the system, but after saying it 2 times it comes back with a menu of things that you can say and one of them is "bluetooth".

It would be handy to have the '09 Helm manual (not available), it's either a bluetooth add-in in the onstar box or programming (bluetooth should not require the USB radio, though I would like that radio too)... maybe a trip to the dealer parts dept would help...
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by UncleDannie

Questions, questions, questions. It never ends.
My understanding is if you have an 09, you have the module you need. I don't think there are different ones for a single year, they just changed it between the 08s and 09s. So if you are getting the radio you should be good.

I have heard of dealers charing a lot more then that to unlock the radio, so you are getting a "deal". Although if you were good friends with a dealer you could probably get it for free. But like you said they are a penny pincher.

Just think if you went aftermarket you would have to get that harness that is like $100 (or more, can't remember) so think of it like that.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:20 AM

Unhappy

I also have an 09LS and installed a used leather steering wheel with the audio controls. As hhr9 states, the system does not recognize the command. There actually is a post in the TSB thread about it https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...oth#post367908

Apparently it must be installed at the factory. I still find this hard to believe but that is the current "official" stand by GM......

Edit: I bought this bluetooth kit from buy.com. It is not the best solution, but at least i don't have to wear a headset. I always seem to forget to charge it too.....

I hope it is ok to post the link.... apparently not. Anyway go to buy.com, search for Kensington K33428US
Old 04-24-2009, 08:20 AM

Any chance that us 08 guys could change out the onstar module with an 09 and then add the bluetooth. I tend to favor the factory stuff instead of an add on.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by BlueStreak
Any chance that us 08 guys could change out the onstar module with an 09 and then add the bluetooth. I tend to favor the factory stuff instead of an add on.
ChevyMgr said that the 09 module is not compatible with the 08 hhr, so no dice.

there is a thing out there for certain chevy trucks etc, but it is like $400 to add it on your car, and that's for them, don't even know if it would for for us. blue fusion or something.

Looks like we are stuck with an add on speaker type thing, which normally suck.

Said it before and will say it again. Really wish GM would think of some of this stuff. Did they not think backwards compatibility was important?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:53 PM

Okie-Dokie. I just swapped out my 2009 standard LS radio with the 2009 SS radio w/USB. Pulled off the bezel (by hand, no tools required), unplugged the two bottom electrical connections on the bezel and left all the wires attached to the top. Enough slack to just sit the bezel on top of the dash, out of the way. Took out the 8 screws (4 on radio, 4 on climate controls) and the radio pulled out easy. Unplugged the antenna, and two block plugs from back of existing radio. Replugged everything back into 2009 SS radio, reinserted the 8 screws, snapped back the bezel - entire operation less than 10 minutes.

Now then, the interesting part. The radio works just fine, kind of. CD plays, 3.5mm plug on my iPhone works, haven't tried the USB yet. The AM/FM radio works fine as well as the XM radio stations. So, why do I need the dealer to 'unlock' my radio? Haven't tried OnStar yet, that may be the issue, I don't know yet. Now the 'kind of' part. My old radio ran for 5 or 10 minutes after I turned the key off, as long as I didn't open the door. The new radio kills as soon as I turn the key off. IF the OnStar works AND the USB works, then I can live with the radio going off when I turn the key off.

Even so, what is the dealer going to do to my radio?

New Info - USB works on my iPhone, have to set it up first, but will then skip to songs, and the OnStar works. The only issue I have is low volume. After starting the car, even the radio now stays on after I turn the engine off and remove the key, until I open the door. Again, what is the dealer going to do for me?

Last edited by UncleDannie; 04-26-2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added new info.

Quick Reply: What do I need to upgrade radio to bluetooth?