Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

What are the OHM's on the Front speakers ?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:47 PM

What are the OHM's on the Front speakers ?

I was wondering i replaced all 4 speakers in my 2011 HHR ,and replaced the stock stereo and added a amp.What i was wondering is how are the front speakers and tweeters of the HHR's wired ,in series or parallel ?

I just wired the fronts to the stock wires and used a wiring harness for the stereo in the dash then when i installed a amp ran the wires from the amp in the trunk to the wiring harness.So the 2 front door pillar tweets are still hooked up as before and the wining harness only has 2 wires just like a stock.

The first set of cheap Pyle 4ohm front speakers i put in went up, the stock tweets were ok still ,so i put a pair of better kappas 2ohm speakers the the 6.5 holes and left the tweets in again.
Thing is if the speakers are wired in parallel my amp could be seeing a less than 2ohm load ,and it could damage it or over heat it. It seems to be getting a little hot of late that and i caught a funky smell or two here and there ,smells mostly like the coils of the fronts getting broken in though,still if any one knows how the stock fronts are wired i would appreciate the info!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

My advice - take it to a stereo installation shop asap and have them verify the wiring. If you are getting a funky smell, something is seriously wrong. Coils don't smell as they are being "broken in".

If you have top ask if they are wired in series or parallel - you really need to take it to a shop.

If you type SPEAKER OHMS in the Search box at the top of the page you will find several references to the resistance of the speakers.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:15 PM

Well I am am sure somebody here knows how they are wired, they say the fronts are 4ohm and the backs are 8 ohm. But in a series configuration Two 4ohm speakers should give you 8ohms and in parallel Two 4 ohm speakers should give you 2ohms.

So saying the front speakers are 4ohms (6.5 and Tweeter) and the door 6.5 is 4ohms by itself is not adding up either way.Seeing how their are only Two wires they are going to be wired is either series or parallel,just which one is the question.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:57 PM

Ohms Law

Well I just measured the Ohms on the front and back stock speakers i replaced.The fronts are 4.3 ohms and the backs arev7.9 ohms. As far as I know the front tweeters are 4 ohms as well so the total of 4 + 4 ohms wired in series would be 8 ohms.But wired in parallel they would be 2 ohms.
There are only 2 wires for the 2 speakers , so they are wired in either series or parallel.The tweeter has a resistor to filter out the bass frequencies, but it is on the same speaker wire as the 6.5 in the front door.
I would like to think the stock radio is feeding the fronts at 8 ohms and the backs at 8 ohms.
But in modern cars its hard to say they cut every corner they can and running fronts at 2 ohms would make the fronts a lot louder,that and it is feeding 2 speakers per channel.
So they might of wired them in parallel not caring about a aftermarket install using the same wires.

There is a way to test the ohms at the amp speaker terminals while the headunit and amp are playing.but its a process.I thought some on here might know having seen their harness during a component install or some thing.
The Stock wires are fine for most after market stuff,rewiring the speaker wires is a bit of over kill for most applications IMHO. I am just running the speakers wires from the amp to the same stock wires via a wiring harness i bought when i put in a new head unit DVD player.

Thinking about it I guess its is wired in series. I just do not want to damage my amp.cause i like cranking it up.