Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Front Sway Bar Diameter

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 PM
Technical Moderator

" I don't know if OEM bushings will fit this aftermarket sway bar".

But, all of that aside, measure the sway bar then get bushings that size. They sell them by size. The OE are metric, many American are inches; there can be a difference in translation. 25 mm is not exactly 1 inch, but pretty close.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 AM

Thanks folks! Very helpful! Yes, I intend to measure the aftermarket bar. But not knowing what OE diameter is, I then wouldn't know if OE bushings would fit the aftermarket bar. That aside though, I poked around the Energy Suspension website yesterday and see they have a plethora of polyurethane options for various diameters. I really like their bushings, so I will likely take that route once I know the diameter of my aftermarket bar.

Thanks again!
Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Welcome, let us know how it works out!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:59 AM

Done deal! I installed new front sway bar bushings and end links over the weekend. The front bump noise is gone now! I installed polyurethane bushings and end links from Energy Suspension on my aftermarket 1" sway bar. The bushings fit perfect like a glove. The end links needed reworked some, since the HHR links are ~10" long, but those available from Energy Suspension are a few inches too short. But they are built in such a way, that they can be easily lengthened with a piece of threaded rod. Turned out perfect!

Thanks!
M Ridzon
Old 06-26-2017, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Good fixed, most of us use the end links from Moog!

What are the ES end links all about?
Old 06-26-2017, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Good fixed, most of us use the end links from Moog!

What are the ES end links all about?
I have used plenty of MOOG products and never had trouble with them. In my mind, they are good OEM replacements, but stepped up a notch in quality. But I wanted the performance aspect of the polyurethane ES components. I've used them before in other vehicles and the polyurethane outlasts rubber any day. Again, MOOG is good, but ES is better, in my opinion. And besides, my dad is a direct distributor for ES, so I was able to get dealer cost on them!

M Ridzon
Old 06-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Administrator

I'm just asking because they have not been mentioned before, so it's the adjustability and the polyurethane components.

In this link Moog parts are shown

https://www.energysuspensionparts.co...y-bar-endlinks
Old 06-26-2017, 06:23 PM

I'm just asking because they have not been mentioned before

I got the idea for the Energy Suspension bushings from this other forum post below. Then I approached my dad about getting them with his dealer pricing.
Originally Posted by helhedded
I ordered some greasable bushings from Energy Suspension and they showed up today.

I'm not familiar with the company you provided in your link. From the page's header, they appear to be an independent dealer for Energy Suspension products. They do not appear to be a direct extension of the Energy Suspension corporation, but do carry a very similar (but slightly different) name, giving the illusion they might be Energy Suspension themselves. Presumably though, they sell other suspension product lines as well (e.g., MOOG). But if you're interested in the bushings and end links I used, you can check out this link below:

energysuspension.com | Sway Bar & End Link Bushings

M Ridzon
Old 06-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Administrator

My eyes must be painted on today, I'm not seeing any sway bar end links.
Perhaps you have a part number
Old 06-27-2017, 07:30 AM

My eyes must be painted on today, I'm not seeing any sway bar end links.
Perhaps you have a part number
My apologies. I figured my link would kind of guide you in the general direction, assuming you might then dig around and find them on the website. If you click Download Catalog on the left, you can then browse to Page 9. I used part #9.8171 from that page. Again as mentioned before, I had to modify (i.e., lengthen) them with a piece of threaded rod and a coupling nut so they matched the OEM length. Perfect fit when I was done.

M Ridzon

Quick Reply: Front Sway Bar Diameter