Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

KYB Struts/Eibach Springs Installed, Veritcal Play in Passenger Side Strut Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 12:37 PM

Just like all Moog Problem Solver parts, these control arms are nothing like the cheaper replacements. They are upgrades. At $125 a piece, you get what you pay for:

"The CK and K are Moogs Premium line of control arms. Utilizing their "problem solver" technology, these control arms address common factory design issues providing a better than original replacement for your vehicle. The CK and K control arms include ball joints that are powder coated metal with gusher bearings giving them a long life. These ball joints are serviceable and have grease fittings. The CK and K arms also have problem solver bushings and a precise fit and form for easy installation."

"Moog engineered steel composition results in a stronger component. Problem Solver patented cover plate design allows for tighter tolerances vs traditional cover plate designs, providing a more durable and extended life part. Exclusive cover plate protects against contaminants leaking into the bearing surface. Greaseable socket design allows new lubricant to flush contaminants from the assembly, reducing corrosion and wear."
Old 11-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Did they come loaded with these bushings?

Front Control Arm Bushings - Chevrolet Cobalt
Old 11-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Oldblue

They don't even mention the HHRs in the fitment list. Glad you found and tested them as being a viable solution.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

Nope... the Problem Solver arms use this one:

Interesting.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Hmm, I prefer the bearing bushing as there is no rubber or polyurethane to deteriorate like the OEM bushings in the picture in post #26 on the right.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:50 PM

Nice information, I didn't know they made that type until you brought it up. Looks the like best option to go with if just replacing the bushings. The Moog PS lower control arms come with the bushing I listed, still definitely better constructed than OEM but I am somewhat surprised they don't use that bearing bushing in their compete arm.

In all honesty, I just didn't have the time to pull my existing arms out and replace the bushings (rears in particular). Moog Problem Solver quality arms with upgraded bushings and construction, ready to put in, I felt was the right choice for me. I'm very happy with them, as I am with all Moog Problem Solver parts. After the new strut mounts are installed, everything on the front end of my HHR will be Moog Problem Solver, except for the KYB struts and Prothane sway bar bushings. I will leave the steel vs. aluminum control arm debate up to the experts out there. All I know is that these arms are built to last.

This thread is getting a little side-tracked, though very informative. The new Moog strut mounts will be installed this weekend, after which I will report the results. All I want to do is drive this HHR again without the clunking and banging. Frustrating after installing all the new parts.

Thanks again to all of you guys for the great information!

Last edited by ITALGT; 11-08-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:16 AM

Quick note about those Moog Problem Solver K200792 Control Arm Bushings... sounds like people are having issues with them, reviews are kinda' scary:

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K200792-...6X87SZ3Z5Z5JMV

Oldblue, have you had any issues with these bushings after you installed them? The other upgraded solid mount bushings all have 5 star ratings... interesting.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:36 AM

Quick note about those Moog Problem Solver K200792 Control Arm Bushings... sounds like people are having issues with them, reviews are kinda' scary:

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K200792-...6X87SZ3Z5Z5JMV
Don't you love the people that say "bad design", then don't support it. Just because something breaks does not mean "bad design".

Just because it is installed by a "master mechanic" does not mean it is installed correctly.

My suspicion is that they were installed upside down.

If you want to experience a clunking and rattling suspension drive a car with double A-frame, like the 80's and earlier. We are spoiled since McPherson technology came into general use.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Nope no problem, no clunks, I would not have recommended or endorsed the part if I had!
I've installed the Moog K200792 on 12 HHR's up here for friends who have stopped me or seen me at car shows and even at the coffee shop and asked about front end clunk!
I always fully inspect the front end suspension and brakes and that front bumper noise.
Haven't had a come back yet!
I wonder if that really was a master mechanic, I've never met one who'll let the customer install parts, as that complaint stated, as for Moog's customer service, they've always been polite and courteous to me.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:31 PM

That's good to hear. Sounds like you confirmed that they are in fact great bushings. I've always been pleased with Moog parts, so I was surprised to see the negative reviews.

Quick Reply: KYB Struts/Eibach Springs Installed, Veritcal Play in Passenger Side Strut Shaft