Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

New rotors not rotoring

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 AM

An update on my problem is that it is still ongoing. A quick recap-I had my rotors cut twice by Chevy, then the third time I went back they wanted to charge me. Instead, I bought EBC slotted with the red pads. Everything was great for about 1500 miles, then I started getting worse vibrations then I had ever imagined. I checked the EBC website and learned that, while it is not mentioned in the instructions, the rotors are directional and I had put mine on the wrong side. I corrected this, but kept the same pads since they were almost new. The vibrations began to decrease and I thought the pads would wear themselves in. All was better until today when I was on the highway and the bad vibration is back, but only at speeds over 50 mph. I tried contacting EBC but they have no phone number-only an email. I did this twice and have never received an answer. They do talk about my problem on their site, and blame it on uneven rotor thickness. They recommend having the new rotors cut and getting another set of new pads. It appears I will have to finally spend more money and do this, though the shops I have spoken to are all hesistant about trying to work with the slotted and dimpled rotors. Plus, new EBC pads are close to $100 with shipping. And what is to say it wont happen again? And before anybody asks, all wheels are properly torqued sequentially.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:03 PM

Lee, this is crap news. Sorry to hear of it.
I never had any luck with my ECB rotors, took them off and the new Delcos are doing fine..

My ECB pads and rotors made the car shimmy, the solution to the shimmy was replacing them with stock. I'll not be straying far again I guess. See previous posts for more details. I

Too bad too. In other cars you and I have changed out stock rotors before for higher performance ones.

I'd give up on the ECBs, even though a lot of people here think the world of them. We can only fight so many battles. I don't have the time any more to fuss with stuff like this, which, while important, is not as central to my mantra as it once was. How about you? We have lives to live.

I'm sure with some work my ECBs will work on an HHR, but I don't have the time. I'll be selling mine off shortly Someone else can turn them, reseat the pads or get new ones, etc ).
Old 02-17-2009, 01:59 PM

I have had good luck with Centric Premium E coated brake rotors and Akebono Pro Act ceramic pads. Changed out my orig rotors and pads at 70K miles, I had a mild shimmy as everyone however the orig pads were nearly worn down. I now have 82k miles with no problems (knock on wood). $160.00 + shippping for pads and rotors at a major online parts site.

http://www.centricparts.com/prod02.htm
Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 PM

I know this is bringing up an old post but hopefully the info will help someone. I've sold the HHR but before that I changed my EBC red pads back to the stock pads. I had no shaking at all. With the red pads it was as bad as the factory warped rotors. I know some are using the red pads without problem but they did not work for me. The rotors, however, worked great. Good luck everyone!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 AM

this might not be the place to mention this but it is about my rotors
head pulsation at 15,000 the dealership replaced pads, installed that gaurd, and turned the rotors. Then at 32,000 got the pulsation back, took it in they turned the rotors, and that was it. I asked is this going to happen every 15,000 got no response. any thoughts here, why and

1) should the rotors been replaced. if so why didnt they
2) do we have this to look forward to every 15,000
Old 05-23-2009, 02:24 PM

So far, so good with a little over 1000 miles on my R1 Concept rotors and pads. These rotors are slotted and fully drilled (not dimpled). The EBC rotors and pads were great for the first 1000 miles, then started the pulsation which got much worse than the factory rotors. I am still waiting for some more miles to be sure, but I am optimistic. Plus, at least R1 Concept has a phone number so I can call if I do have any problems.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:25 PM

HHR4JK,

I have written this up to almost no avail, but I had the same problem. The PADS are the problem on the HHR and NOT the ROTORS. If you go to Auto Zone, purchase a set of organic semi-metallic pads and install them on newly turned or new rotors, you can kiss this brake thing goodbye. In March 2008, I put new front brakes on my 2006 HHR 2LT. I have put over 40,000 miles on the car since with no brake problems. I purchased the car with 26,000 showing in 2007. The brake problem recurred with the same frequency you describe. The compound of factory pads is entirely too hard and the pads oscillate in the holders as you drive setting up a strange wear pattern. This casues the pads and rotors both to pulsate when you step on the brake pedal. The problem is also not USING the brakes but driving the car on the expressway.

There are differing opinions on this forum about brakes, but a hard compound pad on and HHR is GOING to give you problems sooner or later. I fixed mine and I believe anyone who wants to try a softer compound pad can do the same. I got mine at Auto Zone because they were the only ones who had the parts. The pads have a lifetime warranty and the rotors have a two year warranty.

Give it a try and break the 15,000 mile failure pattern.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
So far, so good with a little over 1000 miles on my R1 Concept rotors and pads. These rotors are slotted and fully drilled (not dimpled). The EBC rotors and pads were great for the first 1000 miles, then started the pulsation which got much worse than the factory rotors. I am still waiting for some more miles to be sure, but I am optimistic. Plus, at least R1 Concept has a phone number so I can call if I do have any problems.
Glad it's working Lee. Keep us posted.
I went back to stock and am happy, but know those days are numbered as well. Too late to return my ECBs. I'm sure with a turning they'll be fine for someone. I should sell them in the classifieds with the pads and call it a day.

Maybe the R1 rotors are where I'll go next if I get ambitious again. Been busy on things other than the car lately.

On the bright side we paid the car off and own the title now!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:16 PM

A little over a thousand miles and still smooth as silk (knock on wood). R1 Concepts are great so far. Plus, their decal is really cool.

I bought my EBC's last July, but have had problems since September. If the warranty is a year, I may have a chance. Been busy working on my race car, so didnt have a chance to call them last week but will make it a top priority this week. Like I said, they were out of round in addition to being warped. But, shipping to return them will be pretty expensive, and I dont want to pay to ship them then have them tell me they wont do anything. I have to speak to them and see what they say.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lee3333
A little over a thousand miles and still smooth as silk (knock on wood). R1 Concepts are great so far. Plus, their decal is really cool.

I bought my EBC's last July, but have had problems since September. If the warranty is a year, I may have a chance. Been busy working on my race car, so didnt have a chance to call them last week but will make it a top priority this week. Like I said, they were out of round in addition to being warped. But, shipping to return them will be pretty expensive, and I dont want to pay to ship them then have them tell me they wont do anything. I have to speak to them and see what they say.
I hear ya. Put mine on last July in a shotgun approach, the rims I bought from you, the ECB Rotors and pads, and four new tires. i needed it all done in a day since my wife has to go see her ailing mother who was dying and did indeed die.
So it was weeks before I had a chance to drive the car in any meaningful manner.
I noticed the shimmy right away and spent time diagnosing just which set of variables needed attention. It came down to the Rotors. I swapped them and the pads out for stock GMs and the car was great. No out of round tires, no warped rims, the problem was ALL in the ECBs. Perhaps my wife had somehow broken them in wrong? Dunno.
I took them off after five months and five thousand miles.

I'm sure with some turning they would be fine, but I'm through with them for now. If I keep them I'll turn them. Returning them is an option but between shipping costs and time, I've just let them sit in their boxes in my garage. I'll likely just be lazy and sell them to someone for $125.00. plus shipping. Seems like a decent deal since it seems all someone has to do is turn them.

Glad to hear your new ones are working out.

Quick Reply: New rotors not rotoring