Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

New Struts...now have a creeky noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 PM

New Struts...now have a creeky noise

I finally got all my parts on hand and installed new struts and lowering springs on the HHR.

Now I have a noise when turning that I would describe as "creeky".
It sounds like it is coming from BOTH the left and right sides. Even the alignment shop mentioned it and said it sounded like the springs.

Here is what I installed.
KYB struts
KYB upper mounts
KYB seats & isolators
Eibach springs

(I used nothing from the factory strut assembly)

The spring bottoms are sitting in the notches correctly. The upper tabs are lined up with the spring-ends. The bump-stops are trimmed slightly for travel.

Before installing them in the HHR, I rotated the upper mounting plates. They turned smoothly and didn't bind.

The front dropped roughly an inch...if that plays into the equation.

I am about to go back to the garage and jack up the front end to see if the noise is there when the weight is removed.

Just for clarification....when you turn left or right, the strut body and springs rotate, but the center shaft should not...right?? (I can lift up the dust boot to view the center shaft)

**also, the assembly diagram that came with the KYBs was horrible (and very tiny print). Anyone have a better diagram or description of the top assembly? (like spring, then rubber isolator, then plate, then bearing, then top mount....)
Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 PM

More info on this issue....
After jacking the front up and removing the weight, here is what I found:

The noise is still there.

Using a Sharpie marker, I made marks on the upper nut (in the engine bay). I rotated the wheels and checked the marks.
The driver-side mark is turning with the wheels...meaning that the center shaft is rotating as I turn the wheels.
The passenger-side mark is NOT turning with the wheels...meaning that the center shaft is NOT rotating as I turn the wheels.
Most, if not all of the noise is coming from that passenger side.

Which side is acting like is should?? Should the center shaft of the strut assembly rotate with all the other parts or not?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:50 PM

Did you make sure when you installed the mounts to the strut that they were aligned correctly? There is a slight tilt to them and if not set right will put springs into a bind...also check to be sure bearing pack is installed correctly....
Old 06-30-2012, 02:20 PM

Mount-to-strut alignment....check. I made sure those were correct initially.

I had my daughter sit behind the wheel and go lock-to-lock while I gave a good listen.
Passenger side near the top is the issue.

I pulled the strut back out. It is the bearing assembly. It will creek just turning the upper mount by hand.
I pulled it back out and flipped it over. Reassembled everything.
Sounds a ton better now. Passengers won't likely notice it, but I can still hear it if I am paying attention.
I will give it a week or so to see if it works itself out.
**bearing assembly seems kinda cheesy/cheap**

Thanks for the suggestions.