Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Powell Race Shop YYZ Springs Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Ordered a set of these yesterday, figured I should own a set.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 AM

unfortunately Powell probably won't ever chime in on this forum because he's not a vendor and that would piss off the admin..... hence why i provided his contact information at the bottom on my OP so that those who have questions, concerns, etc about the springs can contact him directly.

here are the springs in action on a Cobalt SS Turbo at an autox event.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 AM

also, i apologize about not providing measurements of where the fenders are now with these springs. life has been a rollercoaster over the past couple weeks but hopefully over Thanksgiving weekend i'll have a chance to get that info for everyone.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

I'm just noticing this now... and i know these are supposed to be awesome and everyone who has them have said so also...but just from that video it shows the dead coils constantly hitting and rubbing on eachother, they are going to rust up in no time..
they are ok for you people in warm climates, but for us who get snow and road salt, those are going to deteriorate in no time
Old 11-21-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by skyline26
I'm just noticing this now... and i know these are supposed to be awesome and everyone who has them have said so also...but just from that video it shows the dead coils constantly hitting and rubbing on eachother, they are going to rust up in no time..
they are ok for you people in warm climates, but for us who get snow and road salt, those are going to deteriorate in no time
they'll only rust if the powdercoating doesn't hold up..... hence why Pedders end up rusting and crapping out after a while. i believe there's something about the "dead coils" but i honestly forget, i'll see what i can find.

all your posts about these springs all full of negatives, it's obvious you don't want them. so just go buy some crappy springs that you think ride great but in reality they won't ever compare to these springs.

i mentioned the last page worth of posts to Powell so hopefully he'll chime in or give me some answers/responses to give y'all.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 PM

From John Powell "Please understand that the only way that we could achieve our goals of ride and performance, some of the coils will touch under increasing load - two at the front, and four at the rear."
Old 11-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

im not negative, im thinking long term. I was happy to hear about these springs and how they handle and i wanted to order a set...but now as more and more info and pics are coming out, im just unsure about them holding up with our hash winters and them rubbing
Old 11-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

I did not join this thread to put down the YYZ springs. I joined in about the issue of coil binding. I can't seem to understand why someone would design a spring to purposely rub coils. Metal to metal contact has got to make some kind of clunky, rattling noise(like in the video?)
As far as powder coating, it won't last if the springs are rubbing together. Fact is it's just paint and it will wear off from the rubbing.
If YYZ designed them that way, then so be it. I am not a spring designer so what do I know. It just seems like a spring with a stiffer wire and fewer coils would achieve that.
Here's a picture of my old rear Pedders and the redesigned new ones. I'm not trying to compare Pedders vs YYZ just trying to understand this thread.

Old on left(coil binding) New on right.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

well john finally answered my concern, ive been asking him this for a little while now but he never gets to the point and answers the question lol but he finally did
Old 11-21-2012, 03:56 PM

firemangeorge........ Powell has tried to become a member on this forum but it's not being accepted by the admin, not sure why. so, i'm going to send you a PM.

Quick Reply: Powell Race Shop YYZ Springs Review Thread