Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

SS rotors on standard HHR

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mstinso
Ok, I was coming here to find what others experience was with the best brake pads for my 07 HHR LT. The OEM brakes suck on these vehicles with pulsation problems. And if the wheels aren't properly torque on these vehicles the rotors warp. We experienced this when my parents owned the vehicle. It's time again for new brakes. I usually stick with Raybestos. But I may switch over to wagners thermoquite. Any one know which seem to preform better on the HHR's as far as noise, stopping, brake dust, and WARPING of rotors? By rotors were fine until I took the car in for tires, I should have re tightened the lugs, but I trusted them as I seen they went over them with a torque wrench. Unfortunately they only did this to insure they were right, not as the final tightening. Either way the rotors are warped and I went to long on the pads so it chewed up a rotor. (rotors are not cheap for this vehicle)

I came across this site and seen about upgrading to the SS rotors. Because my HHR is a 07, they did not have a SS model in this year. But I do see for 08 they used the same rotors and brakes on the LT model. So I assume the SS upgrade should work. I do have the 17 in rims.

So let me see if I have this strait. I get the 08 SS rotors (which I can get a little cheaper for some reason, and they are wagner brand). I get the 08 SS caliper bracket. I use the 08 SS pads. I reuse everything else?

And my spare will need to go on the rear tire if I have a flat. (I hope the jack lifts this car up high enough to get both tires off the ground, well I got AAA either way).

Anyone notice any improvement on brake pulsation issues or have any other issues with this upgrade aside from using the spare tire?

Also I did notice theirs two different versions of the caliper brackets. One is if you have rear drums the other is if you have rear discs. The 07 LT has rear drums. Not sure why this should matter for the fronts, but anyone know about this and which one I should get? I assume the one for rear drums.
Brackets are the same. Only the SS had rear disks. If you have a flat, put the spare on the back first. Then move the rear tire/wheel to the front. I doubt the jack will lift both at the same time.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 PM

Just to echo the confirmation, I did this conversion on my '08 LS. I used the stock caliper, and changed out the caliper bracket and put on the larger 12" rotors. They fit fine under 16" wheels.

I however should have gone with the Raybestos rotors. To save a buck, I went with Advance Auto parts rotors and they pale in comparison.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
Brackets are the same.
Not true..
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jsi2vZ8knuq
Old 12-06-2013, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2005HHRauto

By all means, show me a SS that came with drums. You need the non brembo SS caliper brackets.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
By all means, show me a SS that came with drums. You need the non brembo SS caliper brackets.
Has nothing to do with the rear...
Just disagreeing with your statement, that the brackets are the same.
And yes I agree, you need the SS, non-Brembo brackets...

Use the stock calipers with the SS brackets, which will move the calipers,
the correct distance, to use the SS rotors.
SS rotor diameter minus the stock rotor diameter, divided by 2, = the difference , between the stock bracket, & the SS bracket. Appox: 10mm , or .4 inches

Last edited by 2005HHRauto; 12-07-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 2005HHRauto
Has nothing to do with the rear...
Just disagreeing with your statement, that the brackets are the same.
And yes I agree, you need the SS, non-Brembo brackets...

Use the stock calipers with the SS brackets, which will move the calipers,
the correct distance, to use the SS rotors.
SS rotor diameter minus the stock rotor diameter, divided by 2, = the difference , between the stock bracket, & the SS bracket. Appox: 10mm , or .4 inches
Since post one of this thread stated you needed the non brembo SS brackets, and the someone stated they were finding one for drums, could have been a different company or whatever, they didn't say. Any SS brackets would be the same. Once reason I posted actual part numbers.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Administrator

I contacted a member who swapped his standard SS brakes out for a set of Brembo's, I bought his caliper brackets and calipers, this recycled the parts, cleaned up his garage, and ensured me I had the correct parts!!
When I went to order the brackets for the SS set up, the counter guy asked if I had drum rear brakes, I stated that the SS is four wheel disc, he showed me the listing that the parts company had a listing for SS 08 with drum brakes. Hmmmm it also showed panels with the 11.65 inch rotors.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:52 PM

I've seen many errors in parts catalogs.
There's just too many crazy possiblitys on most cars.
And no, only rear discs on all HHR SS.

Ok , only 2 caliper bracket sizes.
22705303 & 22705304 for the small rotors.
22705376 & 22705377 for the larger SS rotors.
No brackets for the most excellent Brembos calipers.

Some really cool monster brakes! For all HHR....
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...cobalt/kits-6/

Last edited by 2005HHRauto; 12-08-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Administrator

These are the double surfaced machined rotors and ceramic pads from crossdrilledrotors.ca, the caliper brackets are from LT1GMC when he swapped out his SS to Brembo's, all I did was clean them and black powder coat them.
I mounted them up with my stock LS/LT as a test fit to confirm the fit inside my stock 16" 18 hole steelies, and my Wheel Vinitque 16" rally rims.
I just got the brackets back from Powder coat and will be installing these in a day or two.
Attached Images     
Old 04-07-2014, 06:04 PM

sweet, fixin' to do my front brakes- 2010 2.2 panel

Quick Reply: SS rotors on standard HHR