Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Warped rotors issue - NEED HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I stuck this bulletin in the Brake Forum. If you only have 3mm of pad left, then you are probably 5K to 7K miles away from needing a brake job, depending on how you drive.
I was figuring 7K to 9K miles then replace pads and rotors. But since I am replacing the rotors I can go 10K to 12K and listen to them GRIND!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:08 PM

No answers about hub condition?
Old 06-11-2010, 03:22 PM

The service manager is still maintaining that the rotors are only covered 2/24. I asked him to provide documentation showing that fact. I am really getting upset.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:08 AM

UPDATE.

So they could not show me any documentation about the 2/24. I got the car back and have been waiting for the followup "Customer Satisfaction" call. They called last night. I gave them all the information and will wait to see if anything is done.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:10 AM

Update #2

They did not return my call from 6/23 so I called back on 6/29 and the lady transfered me to the Service Manager. Only got his voice mail, so I left one. No respose.

I called back yesterday and the lady transfered me to the Service Mgr and he answered. Explained, calmly, what the issue was, that the rotors had pulsation issues at 16K (fixed) and 32K miles, that the TSB discusses resurfacing the rotors, that the service tech said the policy for repair is 2 yrs/24K and that if he could show me the written policy I would drop the issue.

The car goes in Friday. He agreed to resurface the rotors.

I will probably get another 4K to 7K out of the pads then it is upgrade time.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:28 AM

Yeah, I'd start looking for a different dealer if you can... I know GM isn't common in Denver though...
Old 07-09-2010, 06:44 AM

A question, a comment and another question...
Question: I have a 2006 Sierra Crew Cab (used to pull our 27' travel trailer). It has 50k+ miles and the brakes work great. Why can't we get brakes for a "lightweight" vehicle that works as well as these heavier trucks?
Comment: I bought the 2008 HHR LT used about a year ago. It had 19k miles and a mild pulsation issue. I have been using a driving technique (slight braking over long downhill periods) in an attempt to "resurface" the rotors myself. I have 30k on it now and the brakes are markedly better than when I got it. Anyhow, I will probably replace the rotors when I put on new pads.
Question. Any specific recommendations on aftermarket replacement rotors?

thanks.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:52 AM

Aren't truck brakes more heavy duty in the first place? That's probably why they're better.....

I've never heard anything bad about R1 Concepts. That's the route I'm heading when I need mine. My rotors are warped, but I have about 20% life left int he pads so I'm just going to wait it out until I need pads too.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:27 AM

Final Update

Got the car back Friday.
1. Rotors were resurfaced as originally requested.
2. Steering wheel brought back to center, per my request from the steering column replacement.
3. They also did the TSB for the brake shelids AND put NEW brake pads in.
4. While not my intent at all, the original service writer no longer works at that dealership.

This whole situation just proves to me that with perstitance, a good attitude, not being rude or nasty to people and great information from all of you here, the right outcome will eventually happen.

Thanks for everyones help and support.

Bob
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 AM

Waiting for the other shoe to drop

So, does your vehicle still have any brake pulsation? You didn't mention whether the repairs were successful, only that they were done!

Are you doing any of the maneuvers for the break-in period for the new pads mentioned elsewhere in forum postings?

Quick Reply: Warped rotors issue - NEED HELP ASAP