Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Which way to lower?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:09 PM

I recently used a paint stick, placed it on top of each tire and measured from there to the fender. The rear showed ~3.5" and the front showed ~3"
Well, I'm not a genius but I appear to be missing something. Wouldn't it be best to measure from the ground to the apex of the wheel well? Assuming equally inflated tires, no load in back, gas issue, etc... Seems pretty iffy to measure from the top of the tire?
Did you measure this on flat, level ground?
And this shouldn't matter, should it? I mean, the ground to the wheel well apex is all relative whether the car is on a hill or not, isn't it?
I ask because my poor man's measurements show the back ~1.25" higher than the front. And I'm not trying to be a smartass- just trying to visualize different set-ups.
As I've said in another thread, I'm going with the GL leveling springs for now- can't get the Eibachs I want because of the practical considerations of living in the mountains. If they bring the back down 1.6" as claimed, I will have ~1/3" difference. I can live with that.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:11 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by stick
Haven't lowered yet, butI'm going with the Gold Lines. They seem to have the static drop I want, and since they are being discontinued I figure I better get them now. Hope to get them on soon.
The springs aren't going anywhere thanks to Jeff!!

Check post 38 of this thread......

GOLDLINE SPRINGS
Old 08-14-2007, 10:22 PM

There is one more way. I have done this on several vehicles over the years with great results and they are cheap (about $10) You could use spring compressors. It is essentially 2 bolts per spring with a capstan on each end. You assemble them on the middle of the spring, install the nuts on the lower end and tighten until the two coils you are compressing touch. That's all there is to it. I did mine last month and the rear is about 1/4" higher than the front. Total drop was about an inch to inch and a quarter. Lots of luck!!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 PM

see the following for my setup.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/hhr-panel-eibach-sportline-9330/
Old 08-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by HHR_ROX_CALI
Well, I'm not a genius but I appear to be missing something. Wouldn't it be best to measure from the ground to the apex of the wheel well? Assuming equally inflated tires, no load in back, gas issue, etc... Seems pretty iffy to measure from the top of the tire?
Actually, the way he measured it is probably the best way, given he is looking to measure the actual fender well gap. If you were just trying to measure before and after lowering, then the ground-to-fender approach is a good way since there is little error involved measuring from the ground to a given point on the fender. Both sides should be measured in either case.

Flat, level ground is absolutely necessary if you are trying to measure something like fender gap down to a fraction of an inch. Pitch to the ground may cause weight transfer and that will affect the stance. Parking uphill on a driveway vs downhill will cause a difference. Also, if the ground is not flat, say 3 wheels are on the same plane, but one is higher or lower, can affect the measurement at all 4 corners. Even turning the front wheels will raise one side and lower the other due to the caster in the front suspension.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:35 AM

Good points. Thanks for skoolin' me, Jeff!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by jescobe82
There is one more way. I have done this on several vehicles over the years with great results and they are cheap (about $10) You could use spring compressors. It is essentially 2 bolts per spring with a capstan on each end. You assemble them on the middle of the spring, install the nuts on the lower end and tighten until the two coils you are compressing touch. That's all there is to it. I did mine last month and the rear is about 1/4" higher than the front. Total drop was about an inch to inch and a quarter. Lots of luck!!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you mean spring clamps? Compressors are for temp use, right?

Is this what you used?

I'm sure that since this is the cheapest method, it will also yield the worst ride. Anyone care to comment on this method of lowering?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:32 PM

Yes that is exactly what I use and there is NO difference in ride quality or handling. You are just a little lower.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by jescobe82
Yes that is exactly what I use and there is NO difference in ride quality or handling. You are just a little lower.
How much will spring clamps lower the HHR? 1"? 1.5"? 2"?
Old 08-15-2007, 06:32 PM

I didn't measure it exactly, I just know it's sitting how I want it to. I would say it was an inch to an inch and a quarter. The ride is the same. It just looks much better----and the price is right and much easier to install (not that springs are hard). All I can say is----try it! If nothing at all, you will just be out $10.

Quick Reply: Which way to lower?