Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

What size sway bar links?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 AM

Yeah, geg, we need several guys with different models to do some measuring..... There could be a different length for LS/1LT and the 2LT (FE3) suspension..... Maybe even a third length for the SS? I don't know....
Old 05-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Well, my update is, I drove about 60 miles mostly Interstate this morning. The new clunk seems to be an old one from the rear that I can hear better now. Boy does the steering feel better, tightened everything up and now begs for rear sway bar.

From what I can decipher from my research. FE1 and FE3 have 10 inch and FE5 has 12 inch. And the bar itself is thinner on the FE5. However this info comes from "The Internets" so beware.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

I'm going by memory from something just briefly discussed.....when the SS was first introduced (so, don't hold me to absolute).

yes the SS bar is thinner AND the larger sway bar links were necessary to overcome the space needed for the SS engine/trans/turbo combo. Thus, some one mentioned the sway bars were NOT transferable.......but maybe with the exchange of links?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:24 AM
geg

Measured my "sway bar link" - 10 inches.

But I have a need for a council of veteran repairmen:
As I said earlier, HHR in Russia - an exotic beast. Parts i'm ordered in the U.S., they are simply not in Russia.
I learned apply Some parts from other cars.
For example, brake pads Lexus RX-300 is almost the same and well lived on the HHR. The temperature sensor of the Chevrolet Captiva. There are other examples.
The use of "foreign" parts saves me time and time = money.
And so ... I see for sale "sway bar link" from the Camry. They are almost identical to the native HHR. The difference - a little longer, 10.2 inches! Cars similar the weight and dynamic characteristics. And I can buy them now! And costs $ 33 apiece. I win 1 month and $ 50 for postage.
What do you say, guys? To buy or not?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 PM

You ought to be able to get a pair of the Chinese OEBrand for $33 (in the U.S. free shipping), don't know about international shipping.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:26 AM
geg

Originally Posted by donbrew
You ought to be able to get a pair of the Chinese OEBrand for $33 (in the U.S. free shipping), don't know about international shipping.
Waiting for a whole month!
And international shipping - $ 50.
And "Chinese"! Doubt the quality of production.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by geg
Waiting for a whole month!
And international shipping - $ 50.
And "Chinese"! Doubt the quality of production.
I thought your concern was cost, since you want to use parts for other cars. But on Ebay you can find the correct part for around $33 each plus shipping, so I would think whatever the Russian/European/Asian version of Ebay would work the same. Try Cobalt/Ion/Whatever the GM Europe models that are on the GM Delta platform, etc.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 PM
geg

No, dear
Of course, I'm not Rockefeller. But 100 bucks I can spend at any time and will not cry.
I am interested in accessibility. Came in and bought.
Russian version of Ebay - a reflection of Russian commodity market. In Russia there are no many purebred American cars, so - no many parts for them. No parts in stores - no parts in Russian Ebay.
"All roads lead to Rome!" In my case, all attempts lead to orders from the U.S., but the use of similar parts - my long-standing and successful practice.
I did that when exploited right-hand drive Japanese cars.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 PM

I would think that as long as you get a end link that has the same style & size of end bolts, as well as the proper length. The compounds are all going to be similar.

Otherwise, what about Europe ebay?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM
geg

Originally Posted by Gas Man
I would think that as long as you get a end link that has the same style & size of end bolts, as well as the proper length. The compounds are all going to be similar.

Otherwise, what about Europe ebay?
Friend! I'm in Russia!
No difference in time of shipping. America: 15 - 30 days. Europe: 15 - 25 days. China: 15 - 30 days. difference - In Europe the most expensive prices, And in Europe there is almost no HHR.
Do not believe Medvedev, who shouted from the screen, "Russia - the European country ..." What could be more ridiculous? only Saakashvilli is sitting on the background of the EU flag.
Russia is not Europe and not Asia. Not even Eurasia. Russia - Russia. Hundreds of miles through the woods on the bumpy road past the freezing villages.

Quick Reply: What size sway bar links?