Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Surprised no-one ever uses a simple 'wheel puller'.. Local auto parts have them on a loaner basis..

Old 02-21-2012, 11:44 AM

I have replaced wheel bearings on several cars, including my 2006 HHR a few weeks ago.

The best way to free up the hub is to try and rotate it first. I used a piece of wood and a (big) hammer against one of the mounting ears of the hub until it rotated. It will only rotate a fraction of an inch, but that will be enough. Any rotation means that it has broken loose and will come out easier.

Steve
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by sleeper
Surprised no-one ever uses a simple 'wheel puller'.. Local auto parts have them on a loaner basis..

Maybe things are more old fashioned in Tennessee sleeper, but last week I caused a clerk at O'Reilly's to assume a confused "thousand yard stare" when I asked where they kept the Plastigauge?

Then came the inevitable question...."what's that?".....
Old 02-21-2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper

That wont work on the front bearing.

BTW, good lookin' dog!

Last edited by Kookie; 02-21-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the dog.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:35 PM

I tried a puller when I replaced my front hubs and it won't work and I using it because you can damge the axle with it. You just have to keep turning and hammering on the back side of the hub and it will come out. Don't be surprised if the ABS sensor/cap of the old hub is stuck in the spindle, both mine were.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by barfan1
I tried a puller when I replaced my front hubs and it won't work and I using it because you can damge the axle with it. You just have to keep turning and hammering on the back side of the hub and it will come out. Don't be surprised if the ABS sensor/cap of the old hub is stuck in the spindle, both mine were.
The fronts come right off, if you leave the nut on enough to cover the end of the axle the use the medium size "bigger hammer" on the end. You are going to replace the nut anyway as per the manual, it's a one time use part. These instructions come from the Service Manual.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 PM

My problem isn't with the CV shaft in the bearing. Its the bearing assembly in knuckle. The shat is loose as a goose. It looks like, from looking at pictures, about maybe 1/2" of the bearing assembly makes contact in the knuckle and there is about an inch where the abs sensor is, where it doesn't make contact at all in the knuckle hole. The dissimilar metals must be corroded together. It looks like the new part is steel and that knuckle is aluminum. I just need the time to get the slide hammer and then I can report back if that works. Really can't think what in hell else would work.

<-- Teehee, I like this. Like the gnome is my bearing, lol.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 PM

My 2 pound short handle persuader worked fine on mine, just a shot to the side. The bearing only makes contact at three points in the knuckle hole A friend of mine never did them off of his Equinox.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kookie
My problem isn't with the CV shaft in the bearing. Its the bearing assembly in the knuckle. The dissimilar metals must be corroded together.
This is correct.

On mine, I had to remove the steering knuckle from the car and take it to the shop, where I assumed the guy would just press it out. Instead, I heard him in the back room hammering it out. Next time, I'll just hammer it out while its still on the car.

Older cars I've done had a seal on the rear side of the knuckle, which might have cut down on corrosion. Also, those cars had steel (or is it iron?) knuckles and the dissimilar metal corrosion wasn't an issue. The bearings came out easy.

Also, its helpful to put some anti-seize on the new bearing before you install it into the knuckle, so it won't be so tough next time.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The fronts come right off, if you leave the nut on enough to cover the end of the axle the use the medium size "bigger hammer" on the end. You are going to replace the nut anyway as per the manual, it's a one time use part. These instructions come from the Service Manual.
I don't see that in the manual (Unless you have an updated service bulletin or something). I have the 2006 Chevrolet HHR Service Manual, A SUV (GMT/06-A-1). In volume 1 section 3-26 is the wheel bearing/hub replacement - front instructions. It doesn't mention replacing the axle shaft nut. Only the spec to tighten to 81 ft lbs. I do believe that is a lock nut.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing replacement