Commonly Used Part Numbers A place to post commonly used OEM part numbers needed for routine maintenance and replacement parts.

Hhr manual shift cable not available

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 02:51 PM

Evidently the corporate weasels don't talk to each other. The parts books say "no longer available". I'm not sure what a GM strike would have to do with a 3rd party vendor.

I still think a trip to your local bike or motorcycle shop might get you a custom made cable. If not that easy there are places I found using GoOgle that do nothing but make custom cables.
Old 09-27-2019, 04:24 PM

i would prefer the original part but I did consider having one custom made . Iam sure if you placed an order for the cable through your Chevrolet dealer you would get the same answer as I finally received . Apparently there are several back orders which has prompted GM to make a batch of these cables . FYI They did tell me that the strike could affect the estimated delivery date ....
Old 09-27-2019, 05:01 PM

I think they are blowing smoke. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2019, 05:49 PM

Hey hey !! Patience has paid off ! Got a call from my mechanic today letting me know that the SHIFT CABLE . Is being delivered to his shop from the local GM dealer and ready to be installed in my SS !!
A few weeks longer than expected but here all the same !! Now I hope we still get a few nice days here in Southern Ontario to be able to drive my SS! Can't wait to blow some smoke!

Old 11-20-2019, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Great news! Now don’t rip the clutch out of it , doing donuts and burnouts!
Old 01-01-2020, 02:42 PM

How did it seize? Did you keep the old one?
Old 01-01-2020, 06:08 PM

I don't know exactly how it seized . It slowly became harder and harder to shift into gears until eventually
i coukd no longer shift into reverse . I thought maybe the linkage was broken and even had one mechanic tell me I needed a whole new shift assembly . I did keep the old one. I will try to soak it in some kind of
penetrating oil . I don't know how many cables GM made but I suspect they won't be making any more anytime soon . Might be a good idea for anyone with an SS to order one .
Old 01-04-2020, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by KISMYSS
I don't know exactly how it seized . It slowly became harder and harder to shift into gears until eventually
i coukd no longer shift into reverse . I did keep the old one. I will try to soak it in some kind of
penetrating oil .
Many years ago the automatic console shifter cables on Pontiac's would seize do to a bad ground.
The cable became the ground.
I don't know if it's the same situation with the HHR. Just a though mind you.

If you can buy this stuff.
I think it's the best penetrating oil out there to soak your cable.

Penetrating-Lubricating Oils

Old 01-04-2020, 08:02 PM

Interesting about the Pontiac's .Most likely just a coincidence , but ever since I got the car back with the new cable I have been having a couple of minor electrical problems with the power windows and the radio ?

Thanks for the link link to the penetrating oil . It looks like it's only available in USA but I will try to find it either here in Canada or next visit to Buffalo NY .
Old 01-04-2020, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: penetrating oil - there are are plenty of suppliers of penetrating oil here in Canada - just hit Canadian Tire:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/p...-0388085p.html
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/p...-0381510p.html
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/w...-0381587p.html

Pretty much any one of them will work just fine.

Quick Reply: Hhr manual shift cable not available