Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Axle Seals in Transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 AM

Axle Seals in Transaxle

Who can explain the axle seals in the transaxle? I have '09 SS w/auto. I pulled the passenger axle out and saw the seal with a small puddle of ATF behind it as expected. I pulled the driver's axle and found no ATF whatsoever. It looked like the splines had some coating of paste or grease on them instead of ATF. And the axle wasn't shiny like it had been bathing in ATF for thousands of miles. Does the driver's axle splines not get ATF lubrication?

(Note, the trans is OEM. It's not low on oil and performs perfectly as designed).

Thanks in advance!
M Ridzon
Old 01-07-2019, 10:40 AM
Technical Moderator

#7 is a thrust washer. #6 & #5 are gaskets.

Last edited by donbrew; 01-07-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:38 AM

I will have to take pictures and come back here to show what I've got because my setup does not look like what I've found on Google or other ChevyHHR.net threads.

Standby.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Administrator

So, what is different, you have a 4T45E 4 speed automatic, right

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/driv...acement-57024/

there are inner seals seals on the stubshaft, and outer seals in the drive axles. Sounds like your inner seal is leaking on the wet side.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:27 PM

Yes, I just have the OEM 4-speed automatic.

I took some pictures of my axles and transmission.
Below are pictures of the driver's side. I can't understand why it appears to be bone dry with no ATF lubrication. The seal doesn't appear to be holding ATF in the transmission, since there's no ATF behind it.

Passenger side is below. It looks as expected; i.e., wet with ATF, shiny from the seal riding on the axle and its constant oil bath. So why doesn't driver's side look like this?
Are there any special concerns for the stub shaft shown below? Should I worry about changing its internal seal to the tripod joint? It didn't previously leak, so should I expect to have any problems with the stub shaft seal?

Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Technical Moderator

I think you are looking at it backwards. The passenger side seal is bad.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

x2 what Don said.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

I agree about the seal, but doesn't explain a dry rusty shaft.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:12 AM

No, the passenger side seal is not bad. The residue you see is from a bigger mess that I will be informing the forum of a little later. That seal is fine, but left and right seals will both be replaced as part of this project.

Originally Posted by sleeper
I agree about the seal, but doesn't explain a dry rusty shaft.
Exactly! I'm trying to understand the story behind the driver's (left) seal. Any thoughts? Shouldn't there be ATF on it?

Do I need to be concerned with the stub shaft seal? That is, the hidden seal between the tripod joint and the stub shaft? Again, there was no ATF leakage at this part of the car; the residue you see there is part of a separate problem. But is it standard practice to tear off the stub shaft and replace its seal or do they typically give no issues?
Old 01-08-2019, 08:17 AM
Administrator

The passenger side has the stub shaft attached to the tripod, the drivers side the stub is still in the transmission.
You will need to remove the stub shaft from the passenger side axle if you are changing axles

Quick Reply: Axle Seals in Transaxle