Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Axle Seals in Transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
The passenger side has the stub shaft attached to the tripod, the drivers side the stub is still in the transmission.
Hmm, this was insightful and made me think. I thought only the passenger side had a stub. Was I incorrect? How do I remove the driver's stub? I know it has a C-clip on it, but I don't really want to latch a pair of Vise-Grips onto it and yank.

You will need to remove the stub shaft from the passenger side axle if you are changing axles
I'm not changing axles. But while things are apart, should I have any concerns about the seal between the stub and tripod joint?
Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Administrator

If you are not changing axles , you don’t need to worry about the stub shaft on the tripod.
wipe it clean and smear a little ATF or grease in the seal surface, and be careful not to damage the seal.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:54 AM

If you are not changing axles , you don’t need to worry about the stub shaft on the tripod.
wipe it clean and smear a little ATF or grease in the seal surface, and be careful not to damage the seal.
Sounds good for the passenger (right) side. What about the driver (left) side? Does the stub shaft need removed from the tranny? If so, how? Or should I just install the new output shaft seal and leave the stub there in driver's side?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Drivers side looks dry, you don’t need to remove the stub shaft from the transmission
you can change the outer seal.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:19 AM

Drivers side looks dry, you don’t need to remove the stub shaft from the transmission
you can change the outer seal.
Sounds great. I would probably add a little grease to the driver's stub splines before re-installing the tripod joint. Is there any certain type of grease that is required or can I use a typical bearing grease?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Administrator

I used white lithium grease, but a lite coat of axel grease is alright.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:35 AM
Technical Moderator

I would not worry about lubricating splines, except to prevent corrosion. It is not a moving part.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Apparently only one stub shaft , on the passenger side

GM AXLE STABILIZER BEARING / SEAL, 4T40E & 4T45E
Old 01-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Apparently only one stub shaft , on the passenger side

GM AXLE STABILIZER BEARING / SEAL, 4T40E & 4T45E
Are you certain there is only one? Now that you mentioned it a few posts above, I really think that is a stub shaft on the driver's side of the tranny. But it apparently didn't come out when I removed the axle. It really looks like it could be a stub shaft with the sleeve that goes over the rusty tripod shoulder.

When I get home, I'm going to spin the splines in the tranny to see if the outer sleeve turns with it. I hadn't checked that yet, but that will confirm it's a stub shaft on the driver's side.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:38 AM
Administrator

My axles came out with no stub shaft on either side, and the seals weren’t damaged, so I haven’t seen a stub shaft for the drivers side.
According to this , that side is a fixed shaft

https://www.chevymalibuforum.com/for...tub-shaft.html

Quick Reply: Axle Seals in Transaxle