Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Axle Seals in Transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:49 AM

I continue to see the word "seal" used for the what appears to be a sleeve on the stub shaft (or fixed shaft on the driver's side). I'm not sure why people are calling it a seal, since it's more like a speedy-sleeve that is used on crankshaft main seal journals.

Anybody know what the part numbers are for my transaxle output shaft seals?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Administrator

AC Delco 5693

At RockAuto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...haft+seal,8636
Old 01-08-2019, 12:51 PM

Hang on there, guys....

The stub shaft is on the passenger side of the trans. The driver side axle is a long shaft that goes all the way through to the Final Drive Differential.
The green grease is a "hydrophobic" compound to resist water and dirt we put on at the factory.
Please DO NOT nick, bend or scratch the pressed on "sleeves" on the outer portions of the axle shafts. It will cause a leak at the seals, and you'll have to replace the sleeve AND seal.
If you are removing the stub shaft case seal, use a seal puller and NOT a screwdriver. The seal sits in a microfinished bore and will leak if scratched or gored
Donbrew is right...the splines are not a "moving" part.
When we opened a trans for repair at WT we used a "slide hammer" to pop the shafts out. Once out, a new yellow snap ring was installed in the shaft groove before replacement in the unit.

Clare
Old 01-08-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by cc732
Hang on there, guys....

The stub shaft is on the passenger side of the trans. The driver side axle is a long shaft that goes all the way through to the Final Drive Differential.
The green grease is a "hydrophobic" compound to resist water and dirt we put on at the factory.
Please DO NOT nick, bend or scratch the pressed on "sleeves" on the outer portions of the axle shafts. It will cause a leak at the seals, and you'll have to replace the sleeve AND seal.
If you are removing the stub shaft case seal, use a seal puller and NOT a screwdriver. The seal sits in a microfinished bore and will leak if scratched or gored
Donbrew is right...the splines are not a "moving" part.
When we opened a trans for repair at WT we used a "slide hammer" to pop the shafts out. Once out, a new yellow snap ring was installed in the shaft groove before replacement in the unit.
Thanks for this valuable information. Where can I get more "hydrophobic" grease to lubricate the splines? Or will standard bearing grease be okay?
Old 01-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Administrator

White lithium is hydrophobic grease

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%2...0PDFs/8461.pdf

long shaft, and short shaft

Old 01-08-2019, 07:06 PM

Awesome! Definitely learned some stuff today! Thanks!
Old 01-14-2019, 08:07 AM

Update: I inspected my driver's (left) tranny shaft this weekend. I learned that the setup on the driver's side is strikingly similar to the passenger side. It has the illusion of a stub shaft with the sleeve on it. But it's not a stub shaft as @cc732 previously mentioned. See the attached picture. The steel sleeve rotates with the splines, just as you'd see on the passenger side. And on the end of the sleeve is a rubber seal bonded to it, to seal the hydrophobic grease on the tripod joint's splines. Around the sleeve is the typical axle seal that we all think of when talking about replacing axle seals. And behind the axle seal is where I'd expect to find the ATF. However, seeing that this axle seal is not leaking at all, I do not plan to remove and replace it, to then confirm that there is ATF behind it (I have no reason to doubt my conclusion of ATF being there though).

Just sharing for any bystanders who stroll here and need more information.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Technical Moderator

slonny went through all of this for us in this thread https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/prob...d-57383/page6/
Old 04-03-2019, 10:49 AM

Yea got a leak on my passenger side and should just replace the outer seal ? Any info
Old 04-03-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by hurst2001
Yea got a leak on my passenger side and should just replace the outer seal ?
That's what I did in my case; i.e., I just replaced the outer seal. Note, I had to buy an aftermarket seal at RockAuto because although I dug around and found the GM part number for just the outer seal (#24201936), GM doesn't sell just the seal. Instead, they sell the seal kit, which also comes with the stub shaft portion (kit is around $30 (whoa!)). I didn't need the latter, so I instead shopped for just the aftermarket outer seal on RockAuto and paid just under $10. It installed perfectly.

Quick Reply: Axle Seals in Transaxle