Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

F23 (non-SS) Front Manual Transmission Mount Polyurethane Bushing Install

Old 08-28-2014, 01:31 AM

F23 (non-SS) Front Manual Transmission Mount Polyurethane Bushing Install

I wanted to replace the front transmission mount with a polyurethane bushing, because of all the glowing reviews of less engine movement, less isolation, better traction, etc. of F35 (SS) transmission users with the Turbo Tech Racing Stop Transmission Mounts. I have already replaced the front engine mount with a Turbo Tech Racing Solid Upper Engine Mount, and experienced all those too, but to a lesser degree. However, I wanted to only replace the front one, since I wanted to minimize the vibrations others described at low RPMs.

I brought the Prothane 7-516-BL black bushing (for F35) from Jegs. It turns out that this bushing was a touch too small for the F23 mount, so I epoxied it in. Unfortunately, the vibrations and resulting audible vibrations were a little too much for me at low RPMs. After searching the site, and finding out about the Powel Racing front transmission mount. I ended up relieving the bushing with a Dremel tool on both sides to reduce the contact surface area. I left a little more than half the surface area. This is still slightly more than the width of the HHRs control arm bushing that is used in the Powell Racing front transmission mounts.

The end result was fantastic! It resolved the noisy and severe vibrations at low RPMs, and it is even better than the Turbo Tech Racing Solid Upper Engine Mount by itself with the stock rubber transmission mounts!

Anyway, I wanted to let folks know about this, since there is not much written up on this for F23 transmissions.
Attached Images