General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

The 2009 LT,,, The work Begins

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:03 PM

The 2009 LT,,, The work Begins

Well I just last week when I decided I was going to own this 2009 found on an insurance sight. With 27,400 actual, one owner miles, and more options than I was looking for. After running the Vin, and seeing what we thought was a minor hit. I got it for 1/2 the price I was willing to go at auction. That really scared me,,, why so cheap??
Name:  IMG_0071-jpeg_zpsewpgpy31.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  260.8 KB

Well it was finally delivered this morning,,, within one hour, the drivers fender was back on, the front bumper support was pulled back into position,,, and when trying to close the hood,,,, it lined up perfect and function as new!
When I found this, I had my buddy who has the shop and license to buy, and we both agreed on what it looked like we would need to get it right.
2 fenders--front bumper cover & the support form for it--hood--headlights--maybe inner fenders, maybe fog lights, maybe the grill, and probably radiator & A/C condenser. We also planned on some support damage and straightening. Maybe some more damage we didn't count on like a wheel, tire, strut, bumper support???
Name:  IMG_0065-jpeg_zpsuorujxwh.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  299.3 KB

Well I think we will fix the minor damage on the hood, the right side headlight and foglight are fine, the two inner fenders were in the back and fine along with the right fender that has a small ding that was not related to the wreck,the foam bumper cover support in excellent shape,, and the grill was untouched.
Name:  IMG_0075-jpeg_zpssuk1gdzz.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  222.5 KB

This was the first time I bought into this buying as a salvage vehicle. I think I will stop while I'm winning. But after everything was ordered, the biggest job will be detailing it. a fender, bumper cover, headlight, and foglight,,, a little paint and should be back on the road for who knows how long,, the oil was changed 300 miles before the accident according to the sticker on the windshield,, but I will be making sure it is my preferred 5w-30w Mobile one extreme performance before it's back on the road.

I was going to put the SS front grill and bumper cover on but have decided to keep the money and enjoy an inexpensive daily driver and live with the pretty much loaded, low mileage 2LT ,,,, I just would like to fined a translucent film or paint to get rid of that bright chrome grill,,, I may try and cut the SS grill down and plastic weld the bottom back on so it will fit the standard bumper????
Name:  IMG_0074-jpeg_zpsl9j4jtbc.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  264.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0068-jpeg_zpsgs5zg9bw.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  214.3 KB

The one bad thing I will have to live with is that even thought it has heated Leather and power drivers seat w/power lumbar,,, the drivers seat is manual,,, I feel sorry fer the passengers, but I'm going to live with it,,,
Old 10-07-2016, 03:44 PM
Technical Moderator

If you meant passenger seat is manual; that goes for them all.

If the seatbelts and/or airbags deployed you will be needing some extra work.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:48 PM

I don't get. Do you buy this on the cheap to flip it?
Old 10-07-2016, 04:06 PM

All Bags are solid,, front and side. This thing didn't get hit hard, it was just sideways hit that barley caught the front bumper and tore the cover, broke the clips that hold the right side headlight in, and barely more than scratched the hood. But it pushed the bumpr at the frame horns over.

A little test drive and 63 mph with no fenders on it it drove like a charm. Other than them **** 17" tires,, a little stiffer ride than an old man wants. But the biggest ticket item is the air leaner and tube that was missing. But 85 bucks is my most expensive item to get her back to tip top shape,, less than $350.00,,, parts are ordered!!

Like I say my mechanic has been buying these for years. He is driving a brand new, 2016 F250 XLT Power Stroke 4 door, had 16 miles on it when he bought it, salvage,,, hail damage 3 or 4 dings on the body, hood had many but a little over 300 bucks fer a hood, and 22K dollars, he's driving a brand new 3/4 PU,,,, and people wonder why are insurance is so high,,,,
Old 10-07-2016, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
I don't get. Do you buy this on the cheap to flip it?
Heck no it is my daily driver,, 27,400 miles on it, what can I buy fer less than $2,500.00 to drive the next 10 years,,

Name:  IMG_0069-jpeg_zps7hn0i8un.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  277.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0064-jpeg_zpsewh45jm1.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  258.8 KB

Other than a little dirt this thing is perfect except what I posted. It has even been garaged it's whole life until beginning of summer when it was wrecked. I know what some are thinking, but this thing blew me away when I seen the condition this morning when they delivered it from Indianapolis. It had everything, even the window sticker in with owners manual and warranty papers.
Name:  IMG_0079-jpeg_zpsubyvazvq.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  330.4 KB

Cool thing is 2 years ago I bought a one owner 1993 GMC Sonoma, 4.3l 4X4, with less than 90,000 mile on it, never wrecked but needed some new fenders and a door because of rust, everything else was solid??? Same deal the owner had all the service records and everything,, $1,200.00,,, it is loaded too, just no leather. Now with 124,00 actual miles on it, I'll drive it in the winter, hunting. Put a hitch on the HHR to pull my little 14' fishing boat in the summer. I have a fishing and a hunting vehicle, and got less in both than I would take for either one,,, when yer retiered you gotta be thrifty,,,,

Old 10-07-2016, 06:09 PM
Technical Moderator

You do know the Palmetto & Crescent moon is the South Carolina flag? Well mayba a Marine owned it.

What you are calling the frame horns is actually the engine/transaxle/front suspension cradle, if it is bent it can be replaced, not repaired.

If the strut towers are out of whack there isn't much to do about fixing.

Just mentioning things to look out for. Maybe reasons that they totaled it.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:44 PM

Her son was in the marines, but she was from Indiana. the cradle was never even touched, and the bumper supports where they attach were called the front horns, the cradle attaches to the main frame behind the horns the bumper mounts to. We had it on the front end alignment rack before we test drove it, after getting a makeshift breather setup and everything inspected.

Like I say this guy does a dozen or so for himself a year, then that many for others,, when I say well over a hundred, thrust me, he's good!! My G6 since new goes to him not the dealer! Me being a charter boat owner on Erie and full time hunter,, we kinda swap with each other what we do best. Makes for a win win situation!! But be sure everything was gone over thoroughly before the parts were ordered!

But thanks fer the heads up,, If we would have had to rebuild the front end or replace everything, I probably would have used the SS grill and bumper,, but fer now the only upgrades I may do would be the roof rack, and I doubt it would be needed. But,, it will have a hitch to pull the 14' aluminum fishing boat for sure! Again thanks fer the heads up and keep me updated if ya think of anything else!
Old 10-10-2016, 09:55 AM

Do you have to file for a rebuilt title?
Old 10-10-2016, 12:29 PM

Yes, it will have to undergo the State inspection at dedicated inspection center. even though I have to surrender all receipts for everything, and can show the total reason for the loss, once it is bought as a salvage it must be registered as so.

I did verified this was a one owner from the Indy area, and bought new at Muncie Ind. as the Factory sticker and warranty certificates indicated.

So what?? ya if I was wanting to get the Kelly private owner price for this vehicle I would be loosing out. But since I bought this for my daily driver from April thru Nov. here in the north, it's a steal. Nearly new 1 owner fer 1/4 the book price. This also means I can't put collision on it, but premiums are $75.00 a quarter for liability, if I drive it and don't get hit fer 2 years it paid fer itself, even if it is a real total loss,, and I can probably part out tires rims engine tranny, and a few other parts and get my money back.

I am not saying everyone can just go out and buy one like this and get over. I was very lucky, and watched many all over the country that were not a good choice, or more than I would pay. But if you are careful, and buy right, you can cover yer ars even if it has frame damage or needs more than financially worth it. We don't buy anything that is NOT guaranteed to run and drive as is, it must be driveable, not road worthy but driveable. This alone means I had a good engine tranny wheels and tires, and knowing the back hatch leather interior, doors, sunroof,, whatever was worth more parted out than I paid fer it, I was assured my money back if I was wrong.

I joined here because you guy's know more about the general characteristics, common problems and fixes, and what to look out for. Also parts availability besides factory direct replacement, and worthwhile aftermarket upgrades from ones that are poor money spent to see any changes. For almost 50 years I have fixed what I tear up and altered to suit me. I wanted to try the HHR when my wife wanted the G6 instead back in 2006. Since I was driving a F-350 dually with a 7.3 PS in it, she got the choice,, giving up a nearly mint GMC loaded Suburban as her daily driver to have it. Ya economy and gas prices hit us hard then, and I needed the 1 ton to haul my Erie boat and 5 th wheel, we used to run my Fishing Charter service on Erie. Never really thought I would ever buy one after they discontinued them in 2011.

My buddy I hunt and fish with wanted something for fishing, using his Kayak that would hold all the fishing equipment in the summer of 2007, I talked him into the HHR. He bought a plain jane LT and at 150K has had nothing but a couple suspension parts repairs, and standard maintenance besides 2 or 3 recalls. This was why I decided on an HHR and watched for several months to find the one,,, I think I surprised myself, as the morning I bought this, I was only half way to my presale decided maximum I would give for it,,,, very lucky! But today, from everything made, I still think an HHR is a perfect fair weather fiching machine, with plenty of power to pull a 14 or 16 foot V bottom fishing boat and and all yer camping gear and cooler and rods with equipment, and get the mileage it does fer 2 or 3 guys. One thing is for sure,, I'm going to be finding out next spring!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:10 PM

Well parts cam today, right fender, right headlight right fog light, and the bumper cover, fender and bumper are primed and painted. Wednesday I should have it done and ready for inspection,, I will find out tomorrow how far out that will be.

Washed it to and can see a few hail dings on the roof and hood,, but will live with em, very very minor, before I washed it they were not visible. It's a fish'n truck,, it'l work,,,

Quick Reply: The 2009 LT,,, The work Begins