General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

3M tape?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:45 AM

Thanks to CJ and Scoot!
Old 09-01-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by SCOOT

Here's what I used... 2-sided 3M tape.
(I can NEVER!! get pic's to show in this forum... must need to be a premimum member...?
I downloaded the pic titled *3M Tape* to the "Other HHR's" gallery.)

I used this for my chrome 'Chevrolet' scripting on the back of my HHR. I prepped the removed the OEM letters, prepped/cleaned the surface, flipped the emblem over and ground off the posts, stuck the tape to the emblem and pressed it on well*. I then used an exacto knife to 'cut' the tape out of/around the scripting
(while still upside down).
Once complete - removed film to expose sticky that'd adhere to the vehicle... applied!

You can purchase this tape from any autoparts store throughout the country.

Hope this helps...

*Note, depending on where mounting, that the emblem 'may' need some slight bending (or arc) to accommodate curvature of the body panel. Do this ever so slowly/lightly to avoid cracking the chrome finish.
Scoot, you were missing the .jpg portion of the url.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the info, everyone. I was wanting to install the spoiler last night but after reading the 3M instructions I decided to wait until this morning, after a run to the local body shop supply. They actually gave me several packets of the adhesion promoter and after using it I was glad I waited. The guy at the parts house told me if there was a chance I would want to take the spoiler back off sometime, don't use the promoter. The way the spoiler is made I could also use multiple strips of the tape on the leading edge. I used blue painters tape to define where we wanted to place the spoiler, prepped it, then stuck 'er down. I'll take pics at the Biltmore Bash and then post when I get back.