General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Battery vent tube

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 12:12 PM
geg

I had no idea what condition my tube was ... to be honest, I completely forgot about its existence
Well, I went and looked - the tube is available and it is not broken. But this thing is just lying in the bottom, I think that a few years. Not sure if it was connected before.
Are you sure that this tube is necessary?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Yes it vents the fumes from the battery acid.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:15 PM
Technical Moderator

Hydrogen gas is produced when a battery is charged. The vent is a safety item.

Air cooled VW bugs had the battery under the back seat with no vent. I don't recall any explosions or deaths.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Old 05-16-2019, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
Hydrogen gas is produced when a battery is charged. The vent is a safety item.

Air cooled VW bugs had the battery under the back seat with no vent. I don't recall any explosions or deaths.
I don't either, but seems Big guvment must protect us from ourselves..
Old 05-17-2019, 01:02 AM
geg

To be honest, I have never heard of a hydrogen explosion either too.
I charge my batteries in the bathroom, just leave them there for 20 to 30 hours. If you open the lids of the cans, some sort of stench evaporates from which you have a sore throat. But this is clearly not hydrogen.
I agree that there is a possibility of a battery explosion. This comes from a short circuit of lead plates in old batteries. Such cases are known to me. But this is also rare.
My Hippo is equipped with the good old Tyumen apparatus. Another Soviet technology. Powerful, reliable, not afraid of frost and can not be killed. Before this battery, I used ACDelco. I got it with the car. Really very good battery, served for a very long time until it died. I regret that in Russia this battery is not to buy, but to be dragged from the United States is very expensive.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
What is that from, maybe a boat. That is a 6 volt battery is there another one in the front compartment?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:46 AM
Administrator

1967 MGB , two 6 volt batteries, the black cover is hiding the other battery
Old 05-17-2019, 07:48 PM
Technical Moderator

from : https://goodforgas.com/hazardous-gas...ging-stations/

Sulfuric acid contains sulfur, and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) is a possible by-product of over-charging and battery decomposition. If you smell the rotten egg odor of H2S in the charging area, you should assume that this very dangerous gas is a possibility. You should leave the area, and use a gas detecting instrument with an H2S sensor to confirm whether the gas is present before returning.

However, H2S is not the most common gas associated with charging or discharging lead acid batteries that contain sulfuric acid. Given the over-heating and other problems you mentioned, you may not find H2S, but you probably will find the presence of other atmospheric hazards when you test the atmosphere in the area with your gas detector.

The most common reaction byproducts associated with sulfuric acid (H2SO4) are hydrogen and sulfur dioxide. Overcharging, or lead acid battery malfunctions can produce hydrogen. In fact, if you look, there is almost always at least a little H2 around in areas where lead batteries are being charged.

Overcharging, especially if the battery is old, heavily corroded or damaged can produce H2S. Deteriorated, old or damaged lead acid batteries should be removed from service, as damaged batteries are much more likely to be associated with production of H2S.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

geg- You're not married ? , charging batteries in the bathroom, would get my lil woman on the warpath...

Last edited by sleeper; 05-18-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Battery vent tube