General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Can you help an old guy out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 04:03 AM

Unhappy I still have DIC problems

Man no programing my DIC I am in the run position, dummy lights are on....nothing nadda. Now I am a Network Admin for over 23 years so I got the tech part down. I got 44 regular years which may be the issue!!!

I am not saying I am not missing something, however spending over 3 hours so far trying to get to this "menu" is a very frustrating thing. VERY frustrating. I am hoping still that I am doing something wrong but I just don't see how.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:48 AM

If the car was used as a "demo", a rental or other special purpose the main program may have been customized, some members are indicating that 2011's have a different program from other years. I suggest going to where you bought it and raising a stink to get GM to re-flash the updated, full featured program. Can you reset the TPMS positions, with the remote? remote start? Does it have a switch connected to the hood latching mechanism? These are all clues that the computer may be customized. There just isn't much info on 2011's on this forum yet, so most of what you are getting from us may not even apply to 2011 computer stuff. Unfortunately, going to a dealership may get you the same results because at least in my narrow band of experience the techs have not been trained very well (that is a diplomatic way of saying the ones I have run into can't find their own A## with both hands an 2 mirrors) where it comes to "magic".
Old 07-16-2011, 11:45 AM

My GPS was broadcasting on bt thought that might be it so now I have 0 items broadcasting bt
A GPS does not Broadcast it receives.

Your On-star transmits your car location through it's antenna not the bluetooth. This allows tracking for the "Safe and Sound"
Old 07-16-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
Point of order. I thought that he is talking about a bt GPS antenna, bt is 2-way radio on the same freqs as garage door openers and ceiling fan remotes, many wireless networks, and many cordless phones; but NOT commercial AM/FM radio; it has to go both ways in order for it to register security codes, which it does continuously. More likely some Electrical Interference from something. How about long accessory cords plugged in to the 12V power outlets acting as antennae?

However, I don't know about 2011 HHR specifically but turning the bt off in my laptop to phone is quite a challenge, maybe un-pairing isn't good enuff, once you get a pairing going the pairs will keep trying to find each other even if you move them to different worlds, or turn one off.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:54 PM

Exclamation frusting simple issues that are giving me buyers remorse...

Originally Posted by TomsHHR

Your On-star transmits your car location through it's antenna not the bluetooth. This allows tracking for the "Safe and Sound"
The GPS transmitts voice and music or even a phone call over BT to the factory radio via BT. The iPhone is recognized too. But it has the dog frequency hum to it..... very disturbing.

I am also very concerned that my DIC may be flashed with some crap where I can't mess with it. My Key Fobs only have lock, unlock and panic....have I been downgraded and don't know something???
Old 07-16-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver11
My Key Fobs only have lock, unlock and panic....have I been downgraded and don't know something???
Yes, but you can still go back to the seller. If it was a "certified" from a GM dealer you can raise hell. Probably actual cost would be 1 hour of the shops time, since only software upgrade involved, but.... you know.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:20 AM

Oh hell yeh it is the bigest Chevy dealer in Birmingham. Bought it with the warranty intact, so I should be fine but I am getting a little pissed off about the stupid stuff. I love GM and damn if it doesn't always cost me more than cash to have one. ANY toyota would be STUPID Problem free, yet I insist on buying GM..... that took governmant money and is still giving us just stupid no critical things to fuss about with their products. FRUSTRATING as always being a Bowtie owner.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:23 PM

Well, actually your problem comes from the original purchaser. They ordered it that way from the factory, probably a rental or other fleet. I ran into the same wall with my 2008 former rental, but they did not mess the programming up as bad. Don't be shocked when you find out that remote start is aftermarket and expensive if even do-able on the 2011.

You will need to check the option codes on the glove box door to find out what is supposed to be on the car. They will say that you should have looked there before you bought it. As far as the legal dept. cares "there it is in plain sight, why didn't you read it?" And they probably gave you a CarPutz report stating the previous owner, "you should have known they are equipped differently" blah,blah, blah. You probably do not have any legal legs, but you can cause a scene and they may actually want your goodwill.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 AM

Headed to the dealer tomorrow for my free oil change and to show them this issue. How do I politely tell them they need to reflash the computer? They play dumb on ya sometimes!!! Also getting the alternater whine looked at. I dare not bring up the Dog whistle issue now and see if they can get the first 3 items done.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:10 PM

2011 HHR Fixes so far-
DIC- Working fine now
Free first oil change and rotate and balance
Documented the alternator whine and are ordering a part
Out the door in an hour and total cost was my time!! Thanks for a good experience.