General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Chevy refuses to do running boards + radiator grille screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:53 PM

Chevy refuses to do running boards + radiator grille screen

Finally got around to taking the HHR to the dealer today (out of town dealer), and brought TSB # 06-08-51-002C Paint Chipping Front of Rear Wheels, Damaged Lower Door & Rocker Panels with me, along with TSB #08-06-02-001 No A/C, Engine Coolant Leak, Ebngine Overheating (Install Plastic Shield to Stop Stone/Debris Impingement).

Now, I don't have any radiator problem BUT I was wanting to see if they would do the plastic protector as a preventative. Answer: No. Even though it would be less $$ for Chevy to do it now than if a rock pokes a hole in my radiator or condensor later on.

As for the grit blasting of lower rocker panels, I am getting some of that-- its getting rough to the touch when you run finger over it but doesn't visibly show... YET. I wanted to roll the dice and request complimentary running boards. Rolled a snake eyes I guess because they said no, they'll only repaint once is all they'll do and then that's only when the grit blasting gets to the visible point that its a blemish.

The regional Chevy rep said to put on front mud guards and that would take care of it if I didn't want to pay out $485 + labor for matching finish painted boards.

Dealer service mgr told me all this, I have not spoken with the Chevy Regional rep yet, the above is what she told the svc mgr and he then told me.

I have no problem with my dealer svc dept., they've been good, they're just the messenger at this point between Chevy regional and me.

Svc manager gave me number for Customer care if I wanted to run it up the chain, but said the regional rep told him that "that was her answer" and I could call Customer Care and she declined my calling her direct. I found that avoidance on her part somewhat curious, but whatever.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:58 PM

see this thread for "free" running boardshttps://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/general-hhr-4/install-running-boards-not-15698/
Old 06-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Founding Member

I get the fact they won't buy running boards for you, but the radiator/condenser screen is pathetic. I don't understand why the service manager even needs to ask about that.

Although my local rep won't allow me to install one on every HHR that comes in he told me and 40 other service managers/directors at our last meeting, to use our discretion and keep the customers happy.

Maybe that's why the dallas zone is number one in customer satisfaction for chevrolet, because they let the managers at the dealerships make the calls without phoning the reps every 30 minutes for this trivial bs.

I have installed at least ten in the last month, one on my own HHR.

I would take the mud flaps, free is free, and plead your case once more with the service manager alone on the radiator guard. Tell him you will take care of him on the survey!
Old 06-10-2008, 07:52 PM

radiator/condenser screen? Tell me more please.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by MWG2
radiator/condenser screen? Tell me more please.
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/rock-debris-damage-radiator-condenser-15016/
Old 06-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Lone Ranger......

Not unusual for the Zone/regional Rep. to refuse you a direct call. IF their phone number is given out, they would get calls all the time bypassing the Service Managers. They'd NEVER get anything accomplished because of handling EVERYTHING fron a loose screw to a new paint job.

But it would have been nice for THEM to initiate the call to pacify a consumer.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Lone Ranger......

Not unusual for the Zone/regional Rep. to refuse you a direct call. IF their phone number is given out, they would get calls all the time bypassing the Service Managers. They'd NEVER get anything accomplished because of handling EVERYTHING fron a loose screw to a new paint job.

But it would have been nice for THEM to initiate the call to pacify a consumer.
And if a dealer gives it out, here comes the team of 5 auditors to put the dealer back thousands of dollars. I have only known a few that had enough customer skills to deal with the public, so they don't like to talk to customers.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr

I would take the mud flaps, free is free, and plead your case once more with the service manager alone on the radiator guard. Tell him you will take care of him on the survey!
Svc mgr said mudflaps would cost me $85 installed.

Quoted me $485 for a pair of running boards painted to match and ready to install.

I'm going to plead the case w/ Customer Care just for the heck of it, got nothing to lose. smile:
Old 06-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Founding Member

Check this thread where I just posted another option which would be much cheaper.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...5698&page=3#23
Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I get the fact they won't buy running boards for you, but the radiator/condenser screen is pathetic. I don't understand why the service manager even needs to ask about that.
I though that issus was also resolved. I haven't asked for one since I have the billet insert, but if I didn't.

And will the running board issus ever go away. I'm just glad I researched enough to know to buy them with the car.

Quick Reply: Chevy refuses to do running boards + radiator grille screen