General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Dead Battery...... Battery Tender?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by esmarkey
I use this brand:

They have several options including hard wiring to the batt., using the lighter socket, and clips right on the battery posts. They will not boil the battery, rather just maintain.

I have one on my tractor, motorcycle, generator and have used one on my mother s car which is frequently stored up to 6 months at a time.

I highly recommend for long term storage as I have never had a battery problem since using.
There are plenty of options for long term storage. The objective is to maintain an already charged battery.

For topping up a battery that loses charge each time it is driven short distances under heavy winter electrical loads you need something that can add several amps in a shorter time. A solar charger for example would not handle it.

In a couple of days I'll have the CTEK MULTI US 3300 (3.3 amps) permanently mounted in the trunk. Then I should be able to plug-er-in for an hour or two when required - battery blanket, charger and block heater.

I earlier stated the CTEK was well made .... but, when I took it outside to top up another vehicle at -15C, the power cord was so stiff that I could not lay the charger flat to observe the LEDs. I told CTEK to put a flexible cord on their units.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 PM

The above charger does 3 stages, the 1st is a fast charge at 3 amps for really low batteries, the second is around 1 amp for almost fully charged batteries, and then there is the third which is a trickle charge to maintain fully charged batteries.
This year I have had down to -9F (-23C), and I too have noticed that the cord(s) get very stiff.