General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Exterior "chromed" Accessory Material

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
That is not normal rust damage on chrome plated steel Deb. Only the exterior of your tip was chrome plated. They left the inside non-plated seeing as how it is just going to get coated in carbon and turn black from your exhaust fumes anyways. Chrome plated steel ends up getting little chips and pits in it but the extent of the rust on chrome plated steel will never be that bad. I have a 30 something year old set of Cragar SS rims for my 34 year old Malibu so believe me I know the effects of time and rust on chrome plated steel. It chips and pits then rust takes effect in the pits which can lead to the plating pealing. I'll take pics when I get home if you want to see what it really looks like.
Just remember, the chroming process 30 years ago is not like it is now. Then, no one cared about what it did to the environment or the "leftovers". Now it is a much "cheaper" process and is nothing like what those Cragar's got. But, even so, you know that if you did not keep a good coating of wax on those wheels, especially aroung th lugs, they would have been covered over with rust well before now. Now who is going to keep removing the roof rack to keep those nooks and crannies polished.

Plus those Cragar SS wheels are chrome plated steel rims with an chrome aluminum center........ You would only get rust on the outer rim. Hope you never used the outer wheel weights....
Old 10-05-2006, 10:49 AM

That's the only picture I have of that at the moment. It is also chipped all over the place on the part that is chrome plated on the outside. While I realize this is subject to much more heat than say a roof rack would be, it still ended up looking like crap after a short time.

I'm sure your rims are in much better shape than this obviously cheap tip that I purchased. The stuff that was done years ago, like your rims was probably done much better than this was. They sure don't make some things like they used to...that's for sure.

I didn't get the roof rails or the spoiler for several reasons. One being they weren't on the car when I bought it...and 2nd because I wanted the roofline to keep it's clean look...but it's all a matter of what each prefers.

Good luck Snoopy getting all the info you're looking for. Sorry we got a little sidetracked here.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Not a problem, Deb....

Interesting debate...has me thinking also.....what is the material of the rails. Looking at them closely, I do not believe they are polished aluminum. the material seems to be to thin to sustain 150# (if x rails were installed) plus the additional wind force generated. I'm thinking maybe low grade stainless, which is magnetic...the better grades are not.

Ideas anyone.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

Sounds about right, I'll agree with you.