General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR arm rest problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:01 PM

Question HHR arm rest problem

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem with the drivers side arm rest in their HHR. I have a 2011 2LT with leather interior. My drivers side arm rest sort of points downward, like the stop is bent or something. The passenger side arm rest is nice and straight. I stopped in at the service department where I bought the vehicle to ask if anything could be done to straighten it up. The cheif mechanic told me it is a bad design and several owners have complained about it. He suggested keeping the seat lowered and back away from the steering wheel. This should keep the rest fairly straight in line with the passenger side rest. I did as he suggested and it did seem to straighten up, but now the seat is a bit too low. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Deceased

Nope no problems like that on any of our three HHR's. Frankly that's a piss poor response on the service departments part and just a technique to avoid replacing the armrest. I'd take it back and address the issue with the service manager or general manager and have it fixed properly. What a bunch of hooey, lowering the seat, cripes.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Nope no problems like that on any of our three HHR's. Frankly that's a piss poor response on the service departments part and just a technique to avoid replacing the armrest. I'd take it back and address the issue with the service manager or general manager and have it fixed properly. What a bunch of hooey, lowering the seat, cripes.
Thanks 843de, I kinda thought the same thing. I will take it back and get satisfaction.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:11 PM

Well we have the same problem as described by the op ! If I ever get the time our remedy will be to remove the driver side armrest and install a new stop on the mounting bracket (headless 10 x 32 x 3/4" screw) right next to the factory stop ! This will then restric the amount of travel the armrest has and let it sit level to the passenger side .....

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sleeper
I fixed my armrest just right, shortly after buying my ride.. 1 self tapping screw & good ta go !
So easy, even a caveman could do it.. 15 minutes. I like my armrest just slightly upward, so I can lean into it..

Tools needed: a screwdriver to pop end cap off. And then a 14mm deep-well socket to remove armrest bolt (watch to not lose any washers)....Screw in 1 self tapping screw, just in front of the arm rest stop), & you are fixed..
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Tsb

10-08-50-007
#10-08-50-007: Information on Driver and/or Passenger Seat Concerns with Armrest Comfort, Angle Adjustment and Height - (Jun 17, 2010)

Subject: Information on Driver and/or Passenger Seat Concerns with Armrest Comfort, Angle Adjustment and Height

Models: 2007-2010 Chevrolet HHR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Do not replace the armrest for customer concerns of incorrect armrest angle or height. Installing a new armrest will not change the angle or height, and will not fix the customer concern.

Some customers may comment that the driver and/or passenger seat armrest is uncomfortable or that the armrest is tilting on a downward or upward angle or that the height of the armrests is not the same on both front seats.

The front driver and passenger seats are equipped with armrests that have been built into the seat back assembly. The angle of the armrests is determined by the angle of the seat back. The height of the armrest is determined by the height of the seat. Instruct the customer of the interaction of the seat back angle to the angle of the armrest, and the seat height to the height of the armrest. Reclining the seat back will raise the front of the armrest, adjusting the seat back to a more upright position will lower the front of the armrest. Raising the seat height will raise the armrest, and lowering the seat will lower the armrest.

These adjustments may cause the driver and passenger armrests to be at different heights and angles relative to one another.

It is recommended that dealership personnel demonstrate the seat adjustment functions to the customer. This will aid the customer in finding suitable seat position.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the tsb ! I would say that I have done seat adjustments to get the visual look close but it still has the driverside armrest pointing in a downward angle, almost like it's broke ! Kinda like GM admits owners concerns of the position but want to claim it's the owners imagination or inability to adjust the seat correctly, .....

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doctuh
10-08-50-007
#10-08-50-007: Information on Driver and/or Passenger Seat Concerns with Armrest Comfort, Angle Adjustment and Height - (Jun 17, 2010)

Subject: Information on Driver and/or Passenger Seat Concerns with Armrest Comfort, Angle Adjustment and Height

Models: 2007-2010 Chevrolet HHR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: Do not replace the armrest for customer concerns of incorrect armrest angle or height. Installing a new armrest will not change the angle or height, and will not fix the customer concern.

Some customers may comment that the driver and/or passenger seat armrest is uncomfortable or that the armrest is tilting on a downward or upward angle or that the height of the armrests is not the same on both front seats.

The front driver and passenger seats are equipped with armrests that have been built into the seat back assembly. The angle of the armrests is determined by the angle of the seat back. The height of the armrest is determined by the height of the seat. Instruct the customer of the interaction of the seat back angle to the angle of the armrest, and the seat height to the height of the armrest. Reclining the seat back will raise the front of the armrest, adjusting the seat back to a more upright position will lower the front of the armrest. Raising the seat height will raise the armrest, and lowering the seat will lower the armrest.These adjustments may cause the driver and passenger armrests to be at different heights and angles relative to one another.

It is recommended that dealership personnel demonstrate the seat adjustment functions to the customer. This will aid the customer in finding suitable seat position.
Actually, Chevy's got this part wrong. Raising the seat bottom cushion will lower the armrest height relative to the bottom cushion. Lowering the bottom cushion will raise the armrest relative to the bottom cushion.

Mine's OK. Not going to mess with it.
Just do the 15 minute fix if you like.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

How to Fix the Armrest

Here's the easy fix with pics too... Depending where you place the self tapping screw, you can finely adjust the armrest level to your choice of perfection, as I did long ago..

The Dealer is just gonna give you the BS run around..

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...hlight=armrest

Last edited by sleeper; 04-01-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper

Here's the easy fix with pics too...
Depending where you place the self tapping screw, you can finely adjust the armrest level to your choice of perfection, as I did long ago..

The Dealer is just gonna give you the BS run around..

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...hlight=armrest
X2

Quick Reply: HHR arm rest problem