General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR great in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 05:08 PM

6" here today...just got back from a ten mile drive..no problems...other than the windows were frozen shut AGAIN!But driving was fine. I have a manual w/o TC (of course) and I think its perfect for snowy weather.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:12 PM

Well, now I can officially say... that my HHR sucks majorly in the snow... I was skidding and losing traction on the interstate doing 20MPH in LIGHT snow... no ice.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:15 PM

Lived in Michigan/Indiana all my life so I'm used to driving in snow. The HHR is not great but not terrible either. I do wish however I would have got the ABS. Without it this car is just plain scary when you need to brake on snow. A little common sense and patience will go a long way in winter driving.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:46 PM

PERRY!!! Dude..I got 6" today..mine was great. Now...all the people that are complaining...I do have to ask...What size tires do you have? I have an LS so mine areth e stock 16". The larger the tire (generally speaking) the flatter the area of the tire that hits the raod is...casuing snow to pack into the tread. This causes less traction. Smaller tires (generally speaking ) are more round with less "contact" area on the road..the roundness of the tire allows for better release of the snow from the tread. My best car ever in the snow was a 1995 Eagle Summit. It had 13" tires!! Handled like crap overall but the winters were a dream!
Old 01-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

Mine are 17". Most of my problem I think is the fact that I prefer RWD in the snow. I know most think I'm crazy but I feel safer and drive better in the snow in a RWD with a couple sand bags over the rear axle. It just feels more comfortable and natural too me. But I'm not complaining. I just think the HHR is average and handles no better than the FWD Sunfire or Grand-Am I used to own or any other FWD car I have driven in snow. The worst was my ex-fiancé's moms FWD minivan. That was horrible in the snow.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:24 PM

I used to love driving RWD in the snow. I have to agree with the Capn on RWD in the snow, I feel more comfortable and in control. With FWD everytime you hit the gas or brake, car goes straight, with RWD you can kick the rear end out if you need to. FWD with E-brake is fun though, if your messign around
Old 01-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by longhorn
With FWD everytime you hit the gas or brake, car goes straight, with RWD you can kick the rear end out if you need to.
Exactly! With RWD you can straighten yourself back out with the throttle.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:53 PM

My baby is in the garage with a cover over it, I'll drive my Dodge truck,
which is fine in snow.... I treated 6 people in my ER today that were in MVA's
Old 01-21-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by greyghost
PERRY!!! Dude..I got 6" today..mine was great. Now...all the people that are complaining...I do have to ask...What size tires do you have? I have an LS so mine areth e stock 16". The larger the tire (generally speaking) the flatter the area of the tire that hits the raod is...casuing snow to pack into the tread. This causes less traction. Smaller tires (generally speaking ) are more round with less "contact" area on the road..the roundness of the tire allows for better release of the snow from the tread. My best car ever in the snow was a 1995 Eagle Summit. It had 13" tires!! Handled like crap overall but the winters were a dream!
Wow. You got a lot more snow than this side of MD did. We got about a half an inch of snow sticking on the ground here. But it's very dry and compacted.

My wheels are the standard 16's. But, I guess the HHR does handle better than the ION I had with 14's.

I'm starting to like the Audi allroad quattro wagons a little more now
Old 01-21-2007, 09:26 PM

My rear wheel drive Crossfire sucked. Of course it had 19" rears that were wide and didn't fit anyone elses tracks.
Name:  Picture004.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  20.5 KB

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 01-22-2007 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply: HHR great in the snow