General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Technical Moderator

That rear end is going to be really "squirrelly". The weight distribution is wild.

I didn't expect the motor to be that far forward.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:02 AM
Administrator

What happened to your header idea?

Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
That rear end is going to be really "squirrelly". The weight distribution is wild.

I didn't expect the motor to be that far forward.
Yeah regular cruising should be fun. This is gonna be a work vehicle most of the time, so the back should have enough weight loaded down to be stable and safe. My engine and transmission don't weigh enough to compress the suspension. With my 220lbs standing on it, the front suspension begins to drop. It appears to need about 350 lbs total on the front just to get the suspensions to a normal height. The rubber bump stops aren't in the a arms, and right now the bottom of the upper a arm is touching the frame.

I'm gonna get my radiator and front bumper and everything on before I do any suspension adjustments, but I'm thinking I might have to at least cut a coil off the give me proper suspensions travel.

I wanted to use those headers OldBlue, but I found a killer deal on these. Maybe one day. Looks like my electrical box might have interfered with those headers.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:03 AM

How much does the front have to drop?
There are lowering springs and dropped spindles if need be.
Cutting the coil will produce a much firmer spring rate then the spring already has.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
How much does the front have to drop?
There are lowering springs and dropped spindles if need be.
Cutting the coil will produce a much firmer spring rate then the spring already has.
It looks like it needs to drop 3 inches or so at regular ride height to utilize all of the suspension travel.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:58 AM

How about making your front bumper out of black pipe and filling it with sand?
It is a rat rod.
Just as a test jack up the body in the rear to change that ride height and look at the control arms. Jacking up the back will put more weight towards the front.
Or put smaller wheel/tire on the front to match the back.
By the picture is the floor jack holding up the rear of the trans?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:09 AM

How about making your front bumper out of black pipe and filling it with sand?
It is a rat rod.
Just as a test jack up the body in the rear to change that ride height and look at the control arms. Jacking up the back will put more weight towards the front.
Great minds think alike!! I'm thinking about making a bumper/grill similar to the old cattle grills on trains that would clear the tracks. I tried jacking the back up, but my eyes in the front said no change. I'm gonna see how it does next weekend when I get the rear end in.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:43 AM

Way back when when I raced bomber cars (cheap stock car) I made a cow catcher out of pipe from a fence. Worked quite well.
The rule book was an 8 x 12 piece of paper and you were aloud to protect the radiator.
Pushed many out of my way.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:28 PM

Way back when when I raced bomber cars (cheap stock car) I made a cow catcher out of pipe from a fence. Worked quite well.
The rule book was an 8 x 12 piece of paper and you were aloud to protect the radiator.
Pushed many out of my way.
So this bumper is perfect for my displeasure in traffic
Old 11-18-2017, 12:12 PM

Cat, any idea what this is? Guy drilled a hole to drain the fluid. I've got a drain plug installed now. This was in the bottom of the pan when I dropped it. It has a recessed hole about 1/4" around, but doesn't go all the way through. I'm hoping it's a plug he put in the hole that got pushed through. Wanna make sure it doesn't go in any of the working parts.

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod