General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 04:15 PM

Didn't hit it as hard today. More thinking than doing Did get the plug wires made up and on the cap. Heater hoses are connected at the firewall. Need a 45* outlet coming out of the intake. Got the dip stick put in, and swapped out those fancy valve cover bolts out for regular bolts. Probably all I'll do today. Next thing on the agenda is getting the tranny mount bolted up

Old 11-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Forgot to mention that the suspension is starting to settle a little. Instead of touching the frame, the a arm is about 3/4" above it now.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by RattyHHR
Forgot to mention that the suspension is starting to settle a little. Instead of touching the frame, the a arm is about 3/4" above it now.
Loosen the large nuts on the upper control arms and the bolts for the lowers, bounce/roll the car then tighten them back up, while the car is on the ground.
Those were installed with no weight and now can be one of the reasons it's sitting to high because the control arms aren't set in the correct position and the rubber of the bushings is fighting you. Adding the radiator/fluid/bumper would help before doing it also.
If need be install 6 cylinder springs from that year Camaro.

Last edited by Cat Man HHR; 11-20-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Have you tried rolling it back forth? Push it down the driveway and back. Push come to shove install 6 cylinder springs from the same year Camaro.
Another thing that comes to mind are the top control arms. With the weight now on the front end loosen the large nuts at both ends for both arms and bounce/roll the car. The serrations of the bushings won't grab the shaft and washer allowing movement which will free up the suspension then tighten them up. You can also do it to the bottom ones also at the same time.
Those were installed with no weight and now can be one of the reasons it's sitting to high because the control arms aren't set in the correct position and the rubber of the bushings is fighting you. Adding the radiator/fluid/bumper would help before doing it also.
I think rolling it is what helped drop the suspension, thanks for the tip I rolled it out about 30' so I could drop the engine and tranny in it with plenty of room. Backed it onto the lift this time. I left the upper control arm bolts really lose, basically just ran them up hand tight. I was worried about the suspension not dropping back down if I tightened them up. I wanna leave them loose until I've got everything installed at full weight right? Last weekend when I put my 250lbs on the front, it only dropped.to about where it's sitting now. Now when I climb on it, it drops about another inch. If I bounce up and down I'm getting more travel than I did last weekend. Couple more weeks of the engine/tranny pushing down on it I think it should be pretty close. Still thinking about building a steel grill for it, just not so heavy. Ill know more once I build a core support and get the radiator and everything mounted up front. Considering building a battery box up front as well, room certainly isn't an issue.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:02 PM

So all control arms (top and bottom) are still lose at this time? And yes tighten them with all weight on front end.
When you say upper control arm bolts do you mean the large nuts?
Old 11-20-2017, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
So all control arms (top and bottom) are still lose at this time? And yes tighten them with all weight on front end.
When you say upper control arm bolts do you mean the large nuts?
Bottoms might actually be tight, didn't even think about that. And yes, on the upper control arms I mean the large nuts. They're just barely run on.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:09 AM

Ratty
Just checking. Are you getting my PM's?
Old 11-26-2017, 04:56 PM

Got a little done today. Holidays always take up extra time. Got the original hhr bumper welded onto my subframe today. Mounted the bottom of the radiator to it. Made u shaped brackets that the radiator slides into. Got 1/4" rubber in all the brackets anywhere the radiator touches it. Top mounts are bolt on, so removing is a breeze. Mounted the factory HHR electric fan onto the radiator. I'm planning on running a fan switch on the manifold opposite the heater hose. Got a set of Autometer gauges on the way as well. Mechanical Speedo, and 4 electric gauges. Need to buy myself a tachometer for Christmas.

Last edited by RattyHHR; 11-27-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-26-2017, 05:44 PM

Old 11-29-2017, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
The nose looks like it's gonna be long. I can't help but think of Cruella DeVille's car!
I've thought the same thing!!

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod