General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Running the hose to the bottom does the same thing as puttina hole in the bottom of the jug. The overflow jug top does not seal, it is just a dust cap. Not really "overflow" actually "coolant recovery".

A "closed" system would have a surge tank like the early model HHRs
The surge tank is also called a recovery tank on a closed system. Both let coolant out of rad when hot and sucked back in when cold.
Looked at my 2010 and yes it has a recovery/surge tank on it.
If you had an expansion tank that would be a remote tank that would have a radiator cap on it and mounted higher than the top of the radiator.
Like on this Cobra:

On an open system that jug would just be a catch can/overflow container.

Last edited by Cat Man HHR; 02-20-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Technical Moderator

On the HHR 2006-2007 the surge tank acts like an old fashioned radiator reserve tank, but it purges air through the pressure cap instead of coolant.

Later models have a coolant recovery tank that receives overflow from the radiator then replenishes the radiator after it cools.

Old fashioned radiators just expelled the overflow onto the ground, then we came to care about the environment and added overflow tanks to keep it off of the ground.

So, recovery, surge, overflow technically different functionally similar.

Just my definitions, yours may differ.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Don we're talking the same language. My 83 Monte has a recovery tank (surge tank), never have to open the radiator cap just watch the level in the plastic container.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Technical Moderator

The 2006 HHR has a similar system as the Cobra pic, with a plastic tank. GM calls it a surge tank. There is an air space in it, air gets purged out the pressure cap upon expansion of the coolant then pulled back in upon contraction. The air does not go into solution with the coolant since it has a different (lower, I think) partial pressure. Thus, not dumping glycols onto the ecosystem.

Theoretically you can monitor the coolant level at the jug, I don't trust it. Things like exhaust gasses will inhibit the back and forth. It is conceivable to have a full recovery tank, but an engine block full of gas.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:30 PM

Made a little progress yesterday. Got my overflow jug mounts finished up and installed. I welded a tube to the bottom of the lower mount, and siliconed an unused marker light socket into it. Lengthened the original wires back over to that socket, and installed an led bulb. I didn't use the rubberized coating on the bottom of my jug, so the light will shine up into the jug and I'l be able to see my coolant level at night through the 3 X's. Should look pretty cool.

My project for today is getting these headlights mounted.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:34 PM

My wire loom should be here Tuesday, will be nice to get everything cleaned up and properly routed in the engine compartment. My zip ties showed up Friday, I think I'm gonna have enough
Old 02-25-2018, 01:40 PM

I did drill a vent hole in the cap of my jug beside where the hose goes in so it isn' pressurized.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:11 PM

Got a chance to light up my moonshine jug, it' works perfect Its a little bright, but I think when the mixture of antifreeze and water are in there, it's gonna be just right.

Also was able to mount my headlights, and temporarily wire them up. They are bright!!! Does anyone know with a 12v LED light, does +/- matter? They just seem dim to me. Definitely not visible with the headlights on, and they don' stand out even in very low light situations. I'm happy with the headlight performance though, great light pattern, seems to throw it pretty far, and it doesn' blind oncoming drivers. I still need to make some adjustments, but they test out good. I'm not completely happy with how the headlights look on the car from the front. They really appear to be hanging out in space. I'm thinking I need to get some 1/4" steel rod, and making some kind of spider web that wraps around the buckets and "sticks" to the side of the car. I'm also going to shorten the mouning bolts to bring them in closer to the car. I'l wait until I get the sheetmetal on my bumper and paint it, maybe that will help bring them back into perspective. They look killer from the side. I also feel like I need to add some sheet metal on my top rails so the transition from my front nose piece to the rails isn't so harsh.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:07 PM

LEd will not work if wired wrong, So if they light and don't go poof you have them right. :)
Old 02-26-2018, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by RattyHHR

Also was able to mount my headlights, and temporarily wire them up. They are bright!!! Does anyone know with a 12v LED light, does +/- matter? They just seem dim to me. Definitely not visible with the headlights on, and they don' stand out even in very low light situations. I'm happy with the headlight performance though, great light pattern, seems to throw it pretty far, and it doesn' blind oncoming drivers.
Yes the polarity of the bulb matters.
But I'm confused. You say they are bright and then you say they seem dim.
Don't know if this will help you:

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod