General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by RattyHHR
I did a lot of research into the tv cable. Thank you all for the information. As y'all suspected, it was put of adjustment. I used a valve cover tab to make a bracket to correct my angle and give me complete pull. Thanks again for the help!!
Did you adjust the cable at full throttle ?
The adapter in the video puts the location of the cable link 180* of yours to give the correct degrees of swing.
Did you measure the one you made ?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:47 AM

Yeah I measured about 25 times Since I cut my bracket down, I had to move the cable attachment in front of the original mounting point as opposed to behind it. My tab is bolted to the throttle lever in two places to ensure it doesn't move on me and get out of adjustment. I measured the cable pulled all the way out, and made sure at wide open throttle that measurement was the same. Cable is pulled completely tight at wot. Thanks again for the help 😁
Old 02-13-2018, 11:13 AM

Just pay attention to your shift points after the speed-o is calibrated to your rear gear ratio and final gear of trans with tire diameter.
You could have cut the bottom part where the cable attaches to and moved it back along with the pivot point you made also.
I know I'm not building this but I would have gone the easy route. Buy the part for the carb and the correct bracket for the cables to begin with.
Your Lokar cable would still have worked with that, the only thing you would have had to buy was a replacement inner wire.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-s-1041
Again it's my $.02.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Just pay attention to your shift points after the speed-o is calibrated to your rear gear ratio and final gear of trans with tire diameter.
You could have cut the bottom part where the cable attaches to and moved it back along with the pivot point you made also.
I know I'm not building this but I would have gone the easy route. Buy the part for the carb and the correct bracket for the cables to begin with.
Your Lokar cable would still have worked with that, the only thing you would have had to buy was a replacement inner wire.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-s-1041
Again it's my $.02.

Yeah I'll definitely pay attention to the shift points once I take it for a test drive. If it acts funny I'll order a new mounting bracket and angle corrector tab from Edelbrock. I'l be putting almost 3k miles on this thing within a months time, once I get my plates. Definitely need everything in working order. Ill take a 1 mile drive, then 10, then 30 or so to progressively test everything. Pismo Beach is about a 430 mile round trip from where im staying. That' gonna be my long haul test run. If all goes well, ill make the 700 mile drive to Phoenix. About a week later I'll make the 1600 mile drive back to Tennessee. Before I leave California I'll be sure that the car is gonna make the journey.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 PM

Got started on the front end sheet metal and grill today. Its turning out pretty nice. Need to make top and bottom peices tomorrow, as well as the inserts behind the mesh that will direct the air into the radiator instead of around it. Got my DocaDisc decal removing wheel today. I wore that thing out!! Works great, need to order me another one. Got all the stickers off one side and the back hatch.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:08 PM

Got some nice braided wire loom ordered. Went with 3 different sizes. I ordered 1.25", 3/8", and 1/4" sizes, in 25 foot lengths. Ordered some zip ties as well. Mufflers should be here tomorrow. Summit's version of the Super 40. My favorite sounding muffler in the world, never was another option. Might go find some pipe and a bender tomorrow and see what we can come up with.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:54 AM

How are you going to register/inspect it in California ?
I've used that style of loom before and used heat shrink wrap on the ends to stop it from fraying.
What's the louvered vent for behind the rear wheel ?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Administrator

That’s the factory cabin air flow vent.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:22 AM

I'm registering it in Tennessee. No way California would let me register this thing
Old 02-17-2018, 02:57 PM

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod