General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How do I wire in a wiring Harness for a Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 12:33 AM

Exclamation How do I wire in a wiring Harness for a Trailer?

Please can somebody help me? I just put on a hitch, easy-peasy, but no one in my area had one of the newer wiring harnesses that are so easy a monkey could install them! So I have to use the old style, which is fine but wiring is not something I have any experience with and I desperately need to get this connected to use the hitch for a trailer. Was supposed to pick something up today but couldn't because of no light hook up for the trailer.
I picked up a four pin harness for the back of the car but not sure where to find the best place to tap into the car's existing taillights and brake light wires. searched for hours on youtube and online but all I can find is how to's for the new quick connect style, which seems pointless to me because they are so easy.
Please help, I need a "how to" wire four pin wiring harness for trailer. So far I've taken off all the panels in the cargo area but that's it.
Thanks for the help.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:48 AM
Deceased

First off, aboard!

HHR's are kind of hard to do an "Old Fashioned" cut 'n splice harness installation on, their Multiplexed Wiring Harnesses and "GM LAN" vehicle systems do not reallly "like" the older 4-Pin deals.

Your best bet, even though you're in a pickle timewise, would be to start your morning off by calling the auto parts stores in your area for a proper 7-Pin kit.

They are an easy install, check out the write-up below, just click the link....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...-wiring-32903/
Old 06-19-2016, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site!

X2 a wire harness kit is just the ticket!
Maybe 10 to 20 minutes to install!
Old 06-19-2016, 07:39 AM
Technical Moderator

If you have taken off all the panels in the cargo area why can't you see the wires that are connected to the lights? I don't understand the question.

The high center light is connected directly to the BCM, so DO NOT mess with it.

If it's because you can't tell the difference between signal and ground, you need to pay someone who can.

You should be able to use "Scotch" taps.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:02 PM

You can get to all the wiring needed through the access panels like the writeup shows. I soldered mine in since I never seem to get more than a couple of years out of the Scotch taps before they become unreliable - I've already had to re-do the junctions on my 3 year old trailer's wiring when they started to oxidize, but maybe they'll be good enough inside the fenders.
I buy the 60" extensions with the plug and socket at each end, then cut them so that I can use the vehicle side, fed in through the grommet under the bumper, and the other foot or so spare to replace the trailer plug when it gets damaged or corroded. they're about $5, curiously cheaper than a harness with a socket at one end only...
Old 06-21-2016, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Mine was plug and play, no cutting or soldering any wires! I just had to drill one hole for the ground wire
Old 06-21-2016, 06:44 PM

Why not go to Ebay and buy one of these?
118407 T One Trailer Hitch Wiring Harness HHR Cobalt G5 | eBay
Old 06-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Administrator

That is the kit I used! Very easy to hookup!