General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

How do they handle in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by crowbar
how bout the gas mileage
When we bought the HHR, my wife really wanted a Hummer H3! Needless to say, she has been converted!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by wad2k
the Mazda is "just a car"
I couldn't agree more. I think this is why the TSX doesn't inspire me like the HHR does. The HHR has personality!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:30 PM

Lots of nice cars these days..........

Originally Posted by wad2k
There arent very many cars out there that I like enough to go and buy brand new. The Mazda 6 and and HHR are on the top of my short list. But in the end, the Mazda is "just a car" where, as Boko mentioned, the HHR puts a smile on on your face. If I'm going to spend the money on something new.....i want the smile
I think there are so many new cars I like , that I live in some sort of "renaisance " time for auto building.
To me Almost all cars lost their souls after 1972 and have only recntly recovered I've liked a few along the way, the early '80's Prelude,and Buick Rivieras. But until I got an '89 Taurus SHO, I had pretty much given up on all modern cars and just drove '60's Corvairs and Buicks.

Now, I love the HHR ( Of course ), but see a lot of styling strength in the Murano and the Infinity derivitve, the Chrysler/Dodge 300/Magnum, the Crossfire/Mercades, Buick Lucerne, Hyundai Sonata, The Mustang, Thunderbird,Sebring convertible, VolvoConvertible, and others. Just a lot of niches out there and companies producing for them. Way cool.
As you may gather, I like the crossover segment the most, with more than a nod to the AWD vehicles within the class. Too bad AWD eats MPG 'cause it helps in the snow belt. I'd love an HHR w/AWD regardless.

I belive the Mazda you are thiking of is highly regarded and is the basis for a great selling midline Ford who's name escapes me at the moment. Both the HHR and the Mazda would likely serve you fine. But get the HHR, it is more versitile and dare I say, "special". Nothing pedestrian about the HHR
Old 08-27-2006, 10:39 PM

ummmm what's 'winter' ?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:48 PM

I live across the river

Hello my Western NY Neighbour,I live in Fort Erie,Canada.I have not had a single problem in the snow,but the HHR is not an AWD vehicle. When living in the snow belt that we do there is no doubt that four wheel drive is almost mandatory in the winter months. That being said the HHR performs fairly well
in the snow,Better than most sedans.If you are concerned (rightly so) you might be better off with a AWD vehicle. Im going to put on winter tires this winter hopefully this should suffice.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:34 AM

got my HHR last November 2005.....went to a funeral in Ottawa in December during a 40cm snow storm..expected handling problems but was very impressed with its performance in 5 to 6 incehs of the white stuff....tires were facotry installed all season..trip was from Montreal to Ottawa Canada by the #17 route along the Ottawa river
Old 09-04-2006, 06:47 AM

Got my HHR Oct 05. I would recommend looking at snow treads or a different tire than the firestone. While the HHR does good on hard packed and light snow, Mine got stuck in the entrance to the drive with 14" of snow. But that was a bank that was pushed up under some new snow. Durn Snowplow Guy
Old 09-04-2006, 10:17 AM

I juts bought a set of Magna Grip Wintermark by Kelly/Goodyear..hopefully these will work out well..I dont trust htose Firestones in the snow