General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

I'm gonna rename my HHR "Trooper" cuz it took another hit tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Knighti2
Again states may have different rules but Solman98 your blanket statement on witnessing an event is incorrect.
With no witness, it would not stick. I know, it's happend to me before. TO issue a ticket there has to be proof. Otherwise a judge will throw it out. Most people just don't know how to use their rights.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:53 AM

In Missouri, they have to have witnessed it themselves. Most towns/cities won't even respond unless there is an injury or it is blocking traffic. It really stinks. I was involved in two accidents in three weeks recently. One the police/fire/rescue all showed up-public street, blocking traffic. Other one, NO ONE would come-parking lot, no injuries.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

Why is everyone arguing the issuing of a ticket???

As Knighti2, who I believe is a police officer, had written in his first sentence....each state may be different.

Solman...you are "dead wrong" about your blanket statement if you are in AZ. Ask the 100's of people that I wrote tickets to at accidents.

Most TRAFFIC offenses are considered misdemeanors. NORMALLY misdeameanors must be committed in the presence of a law enforcement officer for them to take "arresting" (by Supreme Court ruling a traffic citation is also an arrest) action......unless the specific STATE provides laws empowering law enforcement officers to "arrest" when reasonable probable cause exists. IN a lot of states, accident investigation that provides evidence of wrong doing is enough to write a ticket.

Also, law enforcement officers are prohibited from determining "who is at fault" since the accident, itself, is a civil action, and they have no jurisdiction. However, when evidence provides the mentioned probable cause, a ticket can be issued to the person(s) who violated the law and contributed to the accident.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy

Solman...you are "dead wrong" about your blanket statement if you are in AZ. Ask the 100's of people that I wrote tickets to at accidents.

Poster stated no witness, cops gave no ticket. Unless one diriver stated it was all my fault, who is this cops going to give a ticket to with no witness. No witness, cop did not see, no ticket. If your a cop and give me a ticket with the above circumstances, it WILL be thrown out of court. I'll challange that in any state. Unless it's one of those "speed trap counties" that only give tickets to get money, they have no case. SO if you wrote tickets to people with no witness and you did not see the incident, you were dead wrong. You can ask any lawyer that.

Summons for a court appearance is different.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not arging this any more...You are dead wrong in about 30 of the states of the good ol' USA.

Believe what you want.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 PM

I'm not arging this any more...You are dead wrong in about 30 of the states of the good ol' USA.

Believe what you want.
We cover all 50 states with our vehicles. I know what's a fact.

So in this situation, who would you have given the ticket to after only seeing the results?
Old 01-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Solman, you're wrong, at least 3 times (3 members states that do issue tickets).

But, Perry is not in my state and I did not see the scene of the accident for the POI and the physical evidence, so I can't say. But, that's why I mentioned to Perry about his story and the physical evidence.

Sorry Perry, this is really getting highjacked.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Solman, you're wrong, at least 3 times (3 members states that do issue tickets).

But, Perry is not in my state and I did not see the scene of the accident for the POI and the physical evidence, so I can't say. But, that's why I mentioned to Perry about his story and the physical evidence.

Sorry Perry, this is really getting highjacked.
Well I guess that's the legal system talking then. Give up your rights and you get what you deserve.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:54 PM

Well, it was a very minor incident. If it had been more serious, I would have cared more. But regardless if the loser gets a ticket or not, it's still his fault and his a$$ on the hotseat when the DMV finds out he was driving without insurance. Things are still progressing slowly. But it's only a matter of time before he's being contacted by my attorney.